Chapter Eighty Six: Vanished

(Song: Ghost Of You by 5 Seconds of Summer)

For the rest of the day, I was painting unplanned peonies on the wall of the nursery. Angie joined me as I went on complaining about Laurie and George.

"I just don't get it. How does George think it's okay to do that? I get that they've been friends since they were toddlers, but it's crossing the line, no?" I said as I painted the white peonies.

"I don't know V, maybe you should talk to George about it," Angie said.

I sighed.

"I've told him before, and he said that he'd love me no matter what she thinks. But I was talking to Adrian yesterday... Do you think Laurie likes George?" I asked.

"Maybe, but does that make a difference to George?" she asked.

I shook my head.

"I guess I'm being dramatic," I commented.

"It's valid, V," Angie said.

I finally finished painting the last flower on the wall.

"I think this calls for a celebratory snack, I'll be back with the snickerdoodles," Angie said as she walked through the door.

I nodded.

That's when I realized that the snickerdoodles were in the pantry in a high place where she wouldn't be able to reach.

I went to go check on her but realized that Fred and Laurie were in the kitchen already.

"It was nice of you two to let Vera be the baby's godmother," Laurie commented.

"Yeah, why wouldn't we? She's amazing," Fred said.

"I hope our baby can be as smart and as accomplished as her," Angie followed.

"Of course. Just hope those insane pure bloods don't get to the little one," Laurie said.

"What do you mean?" Fred asked.

"Isn't Vera's mum on the run? You don't think she'll come back and harm Vera? Or even Vera's precious new goddaughter?" Laurie said.

Angie and Fred stood quiet.

"I didn't really think about that," Angie finally said.

"I know Vera will do everything in her power to protect our baby," Fred defended.

"Oh I know she will, but remember she's the one putting your baby's life in danger," Laurie said.

"Laurie does have a point. Maybe it isn't safe Fred," Angie said.

"I don't know. Maybe it's best," Fred replied.

I couldn't listen anymore.

I went to clean up the paint supplies and tried to act as if I hadn't heard their conversation.

"I'm back with the snickerdoodles," Angie said in her cheerful voice.

I smiled.

"Great! I actually have a few errands to run. Seems like there's not much for me to do," I said as I carried the supplies to the hall closet.

"Oh okay, want me to tell George?" she asked.

I shook my head.

"No, I'll just tell him when I leave," I said as I grabbed my bag.

I quickly went downstairs to find the twins, Laurie, and their new three employees huddled up around the counter deep in a conversation.

"And there is the building owner and Weasley Wizard Wheezes investor Vera Black," Fred announced.