Chapter Eighty Seven: Trouble In Paradise

(Song: Who by Lauv feat. BTS)

Laurie stayed over once again, this time she slept in the living room.

George and I didn't talk about the whole situation yesterday, I didn't want to stress him out the day of the grand opening.

But something seemed off.

Last night we didn't really acknowledge each other except for the typical "how was your day?" chat. He seemed  more distant.

Everyone was doing some last minute preparations before the doors opened in ten minutes.

"You guys got a line," Marina said.

I looked out the window.

"It goes down to Ollivander's," I commented.

The boys were wearing their matching suits while Marina, Elle, and Sid were wearing the uniforms.

"Going to be one hell of a day," Sid said in disbelief.

"Alright guys huddle up!" Laurie yelled.

We all gathered in the middle of the store.

"Today is the big day. We've been preparing for weeks. I want everyone to do their best and have fun. If you run into any problems, let the managers or assistant manager know," she said.

"Assistant manager? I thought you two were both managers," I said.

"They are. Laurie's the assistant manager," Elle said.

This week just keeps getting worse and worse.

"When did this happen?" I asked.

"It happened yesterday. You would've known if you were actually here," Laurie said with an attitude.

"Last time I remembered, you were practically ecstatic at the sound of me leaving," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Let's just get ready to open," Laurie said, ending the little meeting.

Once again George didn't say anything. Instead he just stood there and watched me

I pushed past him, visibly upset.

I just went to the back room to grab more receipt tape in case we ran out in the first hour.

I wanted to cry so bad. I've never let anyone get to me like that. I guess it's because this time I didn't feel like I had George to fall back on.

I just wanted to be comforted.

"Vera?"

I turned to see Elle standing in the doorway.

"Hey Elle, I was just grabbing receipt tape," I said, putting on a smile.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

I nodded but I knew she could see through my lying smile.

"How'd you like it here so far?" I asked.

"It's great. Fred and George are amazing, but Laurie is really hard to work with. She scolds us all the time, and is extremely rude," she began.

"What? Have you told someone?" I asked.

"I'm telling you," she replied as she took the box of receipt tape from me and set it down on a shelf.

"Vera, I've gotta be honest with you. Before I met you, I thought George and Laurie were together. She's always around him and very touchy with him," she said.

"Yeah, I've noticed," I replied.

"She's even told Marina that she likes George. How could she do that knowing he has a girlfriend?"