Chapter 31

Ryder's P.O.V.

As I laid in Grayson's arms I felt him softly rub his his hands up and down my back. Get up Ryder. Don't let him see you vulnerable.

After what felt like an eternity Grayson and I finally got up. How would things be when we got back to school? How did I want them to be?

I know I told Grayson that things should go back to how they normally are between us, but I can't help to feel a sense of security and comfort around him. But I can't let myself fall for that. He's going to leave. They all do.

"You okay?" he asked. His voice rang through my ears as I felt something odd bubble in my chest. I want to say no. I want to say that I need someone to stick around in my life.

"Like you give a fuck" I snapped. I didn't mean to. I'm just so fucking scared.

I heard Gray sigh as he got up and left the room. Probably to go check on his mom again. I wonder how long she'll last. It's morbid but she's slowly dying and it's only a matter of time. I wonder how Grayson will handle it. Maybe all this, between his mother dying and his asshole father cheating, is the reason why he acts so goddamn bipolar.

"Hey, I'm ready to go when you are" he popped his head back in. How are we getting there? Am I going to drive you then have to fucking drive you home again cause you'll probably be fucking drunk? Calm down Ry. Stop being a bitch.

"Alright let's go" I said calmly, walking past him. I watched as he grabbed a water bottle from his bag and took a long sip of it. I stopped walking and leaned against his door frame. When he finally looked at me, I raised my eyebrows.

"What? Am I not allowed to be thirsty?" he snapped obviously annoyed that I was watching him.

"How bout you drive to Nick's? I'm all hungover so it's probably not the best idea for me to be driving" I smiled politely.

"You drove here. That doesn't even make sense Ryder" he rolled his eyes. Fuck. He's not wrong.

"Well, we'll just take separate cars. That way I don't have to drive you back here" I smirked. One point Ryder.

"Ya know what? If you're just going to be a raging bitch, I'll just walk. It's nice out anyway" It's cold out. We're in the middle of October dumbass.

"Whatever, it's fine Grayson. Just get in my car" I muttered making my way downstairs. He's using alcohol to cope. Just like my fucking dad. This fucker is going to get confronted on it by me sooner or later. It's only a matter of time.

Since I was already moody, I came to a halt when I saw Grayson's dad walk in the door just as I was about to walk out.

"Riley" he had an awful smirk on his face.

"Ryder" I growled. Grayson wasn't downstairs yet even though I assumed he was right behind me.

"So pretty" he smiled. He had a prominent black eye. Looks like Grayson got some good hits in. I clenched my jaw wanting to attack the man in front of me. As I felt my hands form in fists at my sides, I prepared to lunge at the man. He seemed to sense it too as he took a step towards me, a sickly smile inches away from my face.

"Do it pretty girl. Let me see what you got" Asshole.

Just as I went to bring my fist back to make contact with that disgusting excuse of a man, I felt myself being picked up and thrown over someone's shoulder.

"Nope. We're not doing this. Not today" Grayson spoke from below me. "I'll deal with you when I get home" I assume he was talking to his dad. I couldn't see much as I stared at Grayson's cute butt. When I looked up I saw Grayson's dad's figure getting smaller and smaller as we walked towards my car. I flipped him off to which he just smirked yet again.