Chapter 42

~ ryder ~

Grayson Bernard Jones was kissing me right now.

As a side note, Nick spilled this apparently 'confidential' information one day when we were hanging at his house. Needless to say, I spent the next half an hour laughing my ass off. Fucking Bernard.

Back to the current point, Grayson Jones was kissing me. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd find myself kissing this motorcycling riding douchebag.

Our lips mended together and as comical as it sounds, they seemed to fit perfectly. The kiss wasn't rushed nor aggressive. Grayson held my face softly in his hands as it was clear he was paying mind to my bruised face. I heard a soft, almost content, sigh escape him as he slowly pulled away. His eyes stayed closed for another few moments as mine fluttered open.

"I thought you said our first kiss was going to be romantic" I blurted out, breaking the ice. He let out a breathy laugh dropping his head towards the floor before his gray eyes finally made an appearance glancing into my likely red, tear stained ones.

"Confessing my love on a rooftop overlooking our shitty town during sunset isn't romantic?" he teased with a slight smile.

"You could do better" I shrugged. His fingers lightly caressed my cheek as his eyes took in the cuts and bruises that decorated my face. He was silent for a moment before finally speaking up.

"I really am sorry Ryder." His voice was hushed and a sudden sadness overtook his eyes. It was as if this still moment was the only moment of peace he had felt in a long time.

"Did you walk here?" I decided to question instead of getting mad once again at his disappearance.

He nodded as his hands finally dropped my face, "Yeah I came from Nick's house. I know you're staying there now."

"Okay" I smiled lightly at his sad, tired face. "Let's go."

He insisted on climbing down the ladder first 'just in case I fell'. This kid just professes his love and is already simping.

As darkness started to overtake our shitty town Grayson and I walked hand in hand back to Nick's house. Just minutes ago, I was ready to walk out of his life, tired of his games. But he loves me. That's something I truly cannot wrap my head around. I like him. I know that and finally admitted that to Nick. But fucking hell, do I love him? Was he upset with me that I didn't say it back?

As I glanced up at him I watched as his sad eyes glistened in the setting sun. He seemed to be zoned out as he watched the cars go by on our walk.

"What's wrong?" I questioned softly and squeezed his hand. He looked down at me which elicited a small smile to come onto my face. He just shook his head as his eyes transferred from eyes down to our interlocked hands.

"Sorry" he mumbled, looking away. I rolled my eyes and bumped into him lightly.

"Shut up, stop apologizing" I tried to lighten his mood but that didn't seem to work. "Seriously Gray, I still would like to know where you disappeared to for all these days and why you didn't bother letting anyone know, but I know you're sorry so I don't want to hear it anymore."

He grasped my hand a little tighter and looked towards the road ahead. We were only about 5 minutes away from Nick's at this point. "It's not just that. Though I am really fucking sorry I disappeared—" He cut off his own words when I sent him a hard glare. "But I'm sorry for pressuring you into staying. You were ready to leave. You were ready to climb down the ladder and never have to deal with my stupid fucking problems again. But I just had to open my stupid mouth fucking professing my love for you. I don't want you to feel like you have to stay just cause I said that. I'm sorry, seriously I just need you to know—"