Chapter 9

Ryder's P. O. V.

I couldn't help the tears from coming out. I didn't completely break down but I would be lying if I said a few tears didn't slip. Judy instantly motioned me over, hugging me tight.

"I'm so sorry sweetheart. No one deserves to go through that" Judy smiled sympathetically.

Sympathy. The one thing I hated more than anything else in this world. It's why I never told anyone about my mother. Or about my abusive at home life. I don't want sympathy. I don't need sympathy.

"It's okay, really. It was a while ago. I obviously haven't gotten over it, but I learned to deal with it" I smiled wiping away my last few tears.

I didn't tell Judy anything about my father or how he abuses me. That's something I need to keep hidden. No one can find out.

"Does Grayson know about any of this? Have you told him anything?" she questioned.

"Um, no. Gray and I don't exactly open up to each other" I laughed, "I hate to have to break this to you, but were not exactly very fond of each other"

I felt bad, but I didn't want to continue to talk to her while she thought Grayson and I were the best of friends.

"Sweetie, it may not seem like it but Grayson has a special spot for you in his heart" she smiled.

I laughed. Out loud. Literally.

"Ha, um I don't really think so Judy"

She gave me a stern look which shut me up from my laughing.

"I'm serious Ryder. First off no one calls him Gray. No one. Except for me of course. So if he lets you call him that then you are most definitely special. Second, he hardly ever brings girls around. When he does, he either gets rid of them that night or right after, well, you know. If he let you stay the whole night without... doing anything with you, you are different than the other girls" Judy finished with a proud smirk that could definitely match her son's.

I felt a small smile play on my face. Was I really special to him? Not that I cared or anything but just to have the feeling that someone might actually care for me, is nice. My thoughts were interrupted when the door opened. Grayson walked in with a tray of food, and a glass of water.

"Here's your dinner mama" he said avoiding eye contact with me.

Confused I looked at my phone to see that it was already 5:30 pm. I gasped silently. I didn't even realize Judy and I were talking for that long.

"I better get going. My dad is gonna get worried" I lied.

"Alrighty. Bye, bye sweetpea. I'll be sure to talk to you again" Judy smiled giving me a hug.

"Absolutely" I grinned back.

"I'll, um, give you a lift back to school" Grayson said awkwardly sticking his hands in his pockets. I just nodded and followed him downstairs, after he kissed his mom goodbye. We got outside I shivered a bit, realizing the temperature dropped quite a bit. Gray strapped his helmet on my head. I looked up at him as he clipped, just to see his dark eyes meet mine.

"You guys took a while talking" he said, his eyes not leaving mine.

"Yeah, I mean, you know, it's just girl talk" I laughed trying to cover up my lie. Grayson narrowed his eyes at me obviously not believing me. Then he rolled his gray orbs and hopped on the bike, impatiently waiting for me to get on.

Once we arrived at the school I hopped off his bike and handed him back his helmet. He quickly snatched the helmet out of my hands and sped off on his motorcycle. I rolled my eyes before, getting into my own car to drive home.