Chapter 37

~ ryder ~

I started to get nervous that my dad didn't return home yet. It's been a few weeks and usually his benders don't last this long. I was able to pick up some groceries the other day so we had some food in the house. I had some money saved up while my dad kept a stash of cash in a pot below the sink. I assume he thinks I don't know about it. But I'm not stupid. I know he needs cash to feed his addiction.

Living in the middle class my dad made a decent living even though he most recently got laid off. There was a decent amount of money in the stash so I knew even if he didn't return home, I would be okay.

I swallowed heavily at the thought. What if he doesn't come home? Like, ever. I was still 17 so I technically couldn't live by myself. If someone found out would they take me away? Would I be able to finish my Senior year?

A variety of thoughts were swarming through my head as I lay in bed. I thought about my jealousy towards Veronica and Grayson and why it bothered me so much. I knew the two were practically siblings but something in my head just grimaced at the thought of Grayson being with anyone. I noticed, from what I know at least, that Grayson hasn't hooked up with anyone in a long time. Even at the party, he seemed like he wanted to be as far away from Kylie as possible. I wonder why.

I sighed and turned on my side, picking up my phone. I opened the text thread between Grayson and me but was left disappointed when I noticed he still hasn't answered me. I faced an internal debate before finally rolling my eyes and pressing the call button. It kept ringing and ringing then eventually went to voicemail. I groaned throwing my head back into the pillow.

Next, I called Veronica but it ended in the same result as Grayson. With slight annoyance, I called the last of my friends.

"What's up cutie?" Nick immediately answered causing me to roll my eyes.

"I'm bored" I muttered so low that it was barely audible.

"What?" he asked though I could hear a smirk in his tone hinting he probably heard me the first time.

"I'm bored" I whined trying to ignore the fact that I'm having an actual conversation with Nick. "Grayson won't answer his phone, neither will Veronica."

"Wait so I'm your last resort?" I could hear him pout.

"You should feel lucky I even called you at all" I grumbled. This caused Nick to let out a loud laugh and I smiled, happy he wasn't offended by my harsh words.

"Grayson's with me by the way" Nick spoke making me furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "We're cuddling and he's asleep, that's why he didn't answer his phone."

I blinked stupidly even though he couldn't see me.

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"One second." He seemed to pull his phone away from his ear. I impatiently waited for a few seconds until suddenly my phone vibrated. I put my phone on speaker as I pulled it away from my ear. I open the attachment that Nick had just sent me.

It was a selfie of Nick grinning widely as he held the phone above his head at an arms reach. Tucked under his left arm was Grayson, his head resting slightly on both Nick's shoulder and chest. His hair covered most of his face but it was clear he was fast asleep.

"I thought you were joking when you said you two cuddle" I stated rather confused.

Confusion took over his voice as well, "why would I be joking?"

I simply laughed at him still staring at the picture. It was pretty cute I'm not gonna lie.

"You can come over if you want. We were supposed to be watching a movie right now but Grayson knocked out. I don't think he got much sleep last night" Nick said making me sigh.