Chapter 34

~ Ryder ~

"Veronica why can't we just go to your house!"

Veronica and I need to get ready for Nick's Halloween party tonight and I've been convincing her all day to let us go to her house.

There's a slim chance my father will come home tonight as he still hasn't returned from his bender, but I really don't want to take the risk.

"My parents are really strict!" she argued softly. "If they saw I was getting ready to go to a party they won't be happy"

"But you said that they drink with you sometimes! Why wouldn't they let you go?!"

"I'm sorry Ryder. I wish you could come over, really" she sighed making me groan and slam my head against the lunch table. Her secretiveness was annoying me.

"You suck" I mumbled. She didn't seem to be budging so I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and have her over my house. "I can't believe we didn't even get costumes yet. The party is literally tonight!"

"Do we really have to dress up?" she whined which is ironic cause you would think I would be the one complaining about it.

"Yes Veronica" I said slowly, "It's Halloween sweetheart"

She stuck her tongue out at me but then sighed.

"What are we even going to wear? Girls always look all cute on Halloween and I don't usually wear things like that" Veronica gave me the best puppy dogs eyes she could.

I poked her cheek and laughed, "You mean slutty?"

She smiled lightly.

"I got it!" I snapped my fingers, "What if you dress as a boxer and I dress as a nerd!"

"I am not a nerd!" she argued. I laughed although the idea didn't seem that bad. I don't exactly know how to make a nerd look hot but Veronica's hot and she's a nerd so I'm sure I can pull it off.

"Besides," I ignored her argument, "It'll be easy and we can get all the stuff last minute. All you need is spandex shorts and a sports bra. You can even wear one of those robe things over it that we wear during warm-ups!"

"That's barely an costume! And you really want to live up to Nick's school girl dream?" she asked.

"Ugh. So what else are we suppose to wear!" my urge to bang my head on the table coming back again.

"How about we go to the mall after school and figure something out?" Veronica proposed.

"Alright, but we have to be quick so we have enough time to get ready" I warned.

Although I was not one for make up and dressing up, I absolutely love Halloween. I cant even blame girls who dress slutty considering it's the one day of the year they can get away with it.

"I wonder what Kylie is going to wear" Veronica watched as Kylie walked past us, confidence radiating off of her as she threw smiles at different boys.

"Probably something slutty" I mumbled.

"Honestly" Veronica started and I knew she was about to rant about something, "I think girls are judged to much. You know a guy can walk around dressed however they want but as soon as a girl goes around wearing something that accentuates her features she's labeled a slut"

I blinked at her. Once. Twice. Three times.

She does have a point. Maybe, just maybe, I'm a little too quick to judge other people.

"You're right" I agreed, "Who gives a fuck ya know? We should be able to wear whatever we want"

"Yeah!" she agreed.