Chapter 40

~ ryder ~

Going back to school on Monday was not something I was looking forward to. I still haven't heard from Grayson but was slightly surprised when he didn't show up for school.

I walked up to Veronica's locker ignoring the lingering stares at my face.

"Oh my gosh!" Veronica quickly exclaimed abandoning whatever books she was looking for in her locker. "Ryder what happened?"

I laughed lightly though it hurt the cut on my lip as Veronica gently grabbed my face in her small hands.

"You should see the other guy" I joked but Veronica just frowned.

"I don't like when you get into fights." The frown was still prominent on her face as I noticed Nick approach us from the corner of my eye.

"Hey baby" he pressed a kiss to the side of Veronica's head, "Sup Ryder?" he nodded his head towards me.

Veronica didn't even react to the pet name like she usually would but instead dropped her hands from my face and turned to look at Nick with a concerned expression.

"Did you know about this?" her eyebrows were furrowed and Nick grinned sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck. This caused me to break out into a smile as I was glad he wasn't acting all sympathetic anymore.

"It's not funny" Veronica said. "You seriously need to stop fighting Ryder. This looks so much worse than the other times."

"Jee thanks" I muttered jokingly but dropped the humor when Veronica gave me an angry glare. I guess my dad beat me a lot worse than usual this time. It certainly felt like it as my face and body were still throbbing. Nick tried to convince me to stay home and rest but I'm not a fucking pussy.

"Seriously V," I continued, "Don't worry that cute little brain of yours. I can take a punch or two." Or a stomp to the face.

"Besides you should see the other guy" Nick added in making me laugh.

"I said the same thing!" I said enthusiastically. Veronica looked between the two of us as we wore matching grins. Nick knew I didn't want to dwell in sadness and anger over this so I'm glad he was acting like himself with this whole situation. It makes everything feel more normal.

"This isn't a joke" Veronica sounded angry. I would say she looks angry but in reality she looks like a cute little mouse with her nose scrunched up. "You guys just fight like it's no big deal!"

"Woah, woah. I didn't do any fighting, don't drag me into this" Nick threw his hands up in mock surrender.

"But you fight all the time too. Both of you are going to get seriously hurt one day" she looked back to me with a look I couldn't decipher.

"Woah Owens is that a threat?" I teased her. She certainly didn't look amused.

"Whatever" she said shortly and turned back to her stuffing her books in her bag. Nick and I exchanged a confused look since our shy, little nerd is never usually moody like this.

"Veronica—" I started but she simply stepped around me and began to walk away.

"I need to get to class" she mumbled. Nick and I wore the same shocked expression.

"The fuck is her problem?" I asked. It slightly pissed me off as I didn't need even more people in my life mad at me.

"She just cares about you I guess" Nick shrugged. "I'm just surprised, she never usually snaps like that."

Although she didn't exactly snap how I would in usually being a bitch, it was the closest thing Veronica was going to get to being seriously mad.

He sighed and just swung an arm over my shoulders and led us down the hallway. As we walked towards English class I wondered if Grayson would end up showing up at all today. Would I even confront him on blocking my number? I usually would have no problem being confrontational with someone but if he blocked me it obviously means he doesn't want to talk to me.