Chapter 19

Song for the chapter: Broken Together by Casting Crowns

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I hoped that the next day would be like how it was in the movies: Luke would come back unexpectedly and tell me how much he loved me before sweeping me off of my feet and taking me in his arms. Unfortunately that's not how it went.

Instead, I spend the day locked in my room. I am physically and emotionally drained from last night. I keep waiting for a knock on the door saying that Luke was here, or even a call or text from him. I get none of the above. My phone lights up plenty of times with messages from Linley, the other boys and Nathan. Nathan, I had forgotten all about him last night. I had to break things off with him, I couldn't continue leading him on while I was still hopelessly in love with my ex-boyfriend. I shut my phone off completely, not wanting to talk to anybody at the moment. More like the rest of the day.

I lay in the silence for hours, letting it slowly send me back into the desolation of my feelings that I had been avoiding. My thoughts are interrupted when I hear a knock on the door. 

"What," I say quietly and don't care if whoever hears me or not. I am disappointed when it is not Luke, but I am actually happy to see Calum walk in.

"Hey princess, how are you doing?" He asks as he sits next to me on my bed.

"How do I look?" I ask back.

"Beautiful as always, but sad." His words warm my broken heart a little, making a small smile escape my lips. I sit up and scoot closer to him before laying my head in his lap. His large hand pushes the hair out of my face and continues to run it through the tangled strands. "I'm really sorry about Luke, I wish I could make things better for you," he whispers. 

"So I'm guessing he told you about what happened," I say.

"He came to my house and woke me up at 4 A.M. and told me everything. After the concert last night, we went for a drive before going to the club. He kept telling me that he really needed to talk to you. I told him it was a bad idea because we both knew that you were hurting, but he did it anyways. He really loves you Allis," he says sadly. This brings the tears back to my eyes. "I know it hurts. I wish I could tell you that it's going to be okay, but I'm not going to make promises that I can't keep."

"Where is he now?" I ask.

"He passed out on my couch about three hours after he got there. I'm sure he's probably still asleep, but I'm not sure." He wipes a tear away from my cheek. His warm hand feels good against my skin and I lean into it.

"What am I going to do Calum?" I ask again, hoping he can tell me how to figure my life out. Sadly, I know he can't.

"I can't tell you that 'cause I'm not sure. But we leave in six hours," he answers with sad eyes. The words sting. Thinking about how I'm going to have to learn to survive without Calum holding me when I'm sad, and without the other boys, brings me too much pain. "I'm gonna go home and pack. I'm sure I'll see you before we leave, right?" He asks.

"Yeah, you will," I give my best smile. 

"Okay." He leans down and kisses my forehead before getting off of the bed. "I love you Allis." I stand up and hug him, trying to hold back the million tears that want to fall.

"I love you too."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - 

A while after he leaves, I turn my phone back on. I scroll through the many messages that await my response, each one asking me the same thing: are you okay? 

I can't even begin to explain to anyone what I am feeling, so I put off answering once again. My mother calls me down for lunch, but I respond by telling her that I'm not feeling well and don't want to eat. Since she hasn't confronted me about any yelling that she heard last night, I figure that she has no idea about what happened. I don't care to explain it to her either. 

After a few minutes of laying there, my phone vibrates once again. I sigh and pick it up but am relieved to see that it is Calum. The actual text however, does not make me feel any better.

He's not here. Don't know where he could be, but just thought you would want to know.

My stomach churns at the thought of a hysterical Luke missing, possibly on the road. I don't even think before I am up and out of my bed, slipping on a pair of shoes. I shouldn't be doing this, but I know that I have to. I run downstairs and into the dining room to find my family, including Louis, sitting at the table enjoying a quiet meal. They all look surprised at my appearance, especially Louis. I'm sure I look like a wreck, but I didn't know it was that bad.

"I'll be back," I say before grabbing my keys and heading out the door.

I know exactly where he is.