Chapter 77

"Luke?" I nudge him after calling him for the second time.

Nothing. Again.

"Luke!" This time I yell, finally grasping his attention. He looks at me with a silent, confused look; almost as if he had forgotten everything that just happened. "What are we going to do?" I whisper. I can feel the panicked expression that lies on my face and hope that it doesn't give him more fear.

Before I can say anything else, he rushes over to Ben and kneels down beside him. He points his first two fingers out on his right hand and lies them over the spot just under Ben's chiseled jaw line. After a moment, he looks up at me with a look that I can't quite read.

"I feel a pulse," he says quietly, but loud enough for me to grab a sense of relief.

"We have to get out of here before he wakes up. He's gonna know what happened, but hopefully he will know not to mess with you again..." I trail off, only praying for that scenario.

As he slowly stands up and walks over to me, he gives me a nod and by the look in his eyes I can tell that he is nervous. Hopefully my shot nerves are not as noticeable. I hold my hand out once more, hoping he will grab it again. With a shaky hand, he does and a surge of electricity runs through my bloodstream. He intertwines our fingers and I lead him out of the forest, running with him hand in hand.

When we finally make it back to the car, I am panting heavily. I fasten my seatbelt as Luke does so as well and tells the driver to take us to our hotel. I glance at him and can't help but stare. Beads of sweat roll down his forehead slowly as he leans back in his seat. His long fingers graze through his hair and it causes a perfect mess. He closes his eyes and for that I am thankful so I can stare at him at least a little longer. I set my hand on the seat closer to him, wondering if he will take it or not. He opens his eyes for a moment, just to end up shutting them again and not grab my hand. My chest burns with sadness as I realize I won't get to feel that spark again and I close my own eyes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After quite sometime of driving, we finally reach the hotel and I am jolted awake by the sudden stop. Luke is already stepping out of the door, slamming it after him. With a sigh, I unbuckle my seatbelt and make my way out of the car. I follow him but don't even try to catch up as he is already halfway to the doors by now. I step inside the lobby and walk to the elevator, that he is surprisingly holding open for me. I look up and give him a small smile as I step in with him.

The ride up is silent besides his loud breathing and my thoughts run wild in my head. Why isn't he talking to me? How mad is he? Is he going to break up with me? The last thought alone hurts my heart and I squeeze my eyes shut to try and rid the toxins from my brain. I have to stay positive. Hopefully he realizes that if I really wanted to kiss Ben in that cafe, I would have done it in the forest. Doesn't he think I would have broken up with him if I wanted Ben instead?

When the dinging sound from the elevator lets us know that we have arrived on our floor, I open my eyes and sigh as I look down the empty hallway. Our room seems much more farther away than usual and I dread the silent walk that we are having. I can't even imagine what is going to happen when we get inside, but a million possibilities overflow my mind. I have to stay positive.

After we step in the room, he closes the door behind us and my stomach churns. He stands there in the silence, arms folded over his chest and an emotionless expression sits on his face. I gulp down my fears and walk over to sit on the bed, patting the empty spot next to me.

"Come here," I whisper. My words hang in the air, dangling between us as the spot stays cold.

After a moment, he sighs, drops his arms to his sides and slowly makes his way over to me. My breath hitches and changes pace as he gets closer to me. The need for his touch is gradually growing with every step he takes. His overwhelming scent is now stronger and I let my eyelids fall shut as I take in the sweet, yet musky smell that I am so fond of. I feel the bed lower even more when he sits down on the bed next to me, but not close enough. I feel the urge to close what seems like miles long of space between us, but I don't test him. It's too soon.

"Luke," I begin, the word coming so quietly out of my mouth. He glances up from the floor and brings his eyes to mine. Unable to control myself further, a single tear slides down my cheek. "I'm sorry," I whisper. "I'm so, so sorry."

There are more tears now and I can't contain them. With him sitting here in front of me as we are all alone, I don't even try to keep them in. I just need him to know how sorry I really was.

"None of this was meant to happen," I begin. "Yes, I went and saw Ben, and I know that was a mistake. But I was really only going to see him to scold him for telling the paparazzi where we were going to be. He only did that because he wanted to ruin our relationship. But he can't. No one can ruin what we have, it's just too strong..." I trail off. "At least, that's what I think."

Silence fills the room once again and now I begin to sob.

"Luke, please. Just say something, anything." I wipe my face to try and rid the wetness, but it's no use as the soaking continues. "Do you really think that I would ever love him? More than you? After all that we've been through, I feel like you should know that there's no one that I could ever love more than you. I won't love anyone ever again. I want you, and I want only you. Forever."

I wipe my eyes again and stare at him. I can't read his face. He is putting up a guard and it is working, and I don't know if I can break it down.

After moments of nothing but the sound of my now soft crying, I sigh. I slowly stand up and look down at him. "I can see you want some time alone, I hope it helps. I'll just go," I whisper the last sentence as I turn around and begin towards the door.

What stops me in that moment is a gentle fire; a spark ignited in my hand as I feel cold fingers lightly grip my own.

"Don't."