Chapter 44

Song I recommend for the chapter: Make You Better by The Decemberists

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When everything in the back is finally ready, we all go outside and find our seats. It looks even better than it did for the ceremony; many tables are all in front of a long table for the bridal party, string lights are hung beautifully all around the yard, and there is a large dance floor next to a small stage for karaoke and a band that my mom and Troy must have hired. Everything was perfect.

Louis and I sit next to each other at the bridal table and he cracks me up constantly. The evening goes smoothly as we eat a delicious meal with tons of food. They cut the cake almost immediately after everyone is done eating. They want to get the big stuff out of the way so everybody can get right to dancing afterwards. Troy and my mom feed each other pieces of cake and we all clap and laugh as they get it all over each other's faces.

"You have something on your face," Louis says as we each eat our pieces of cake.

"Where?" I ask, trying to wipe everywhere on my face.

"Here, let me get it," he laughs. Instead of wiping anything off, I feel him smear icing all over my cheek instead.

"Louis!" I yell before wiping some on his as well. We both laugh and smear more icing on each other, not caring how immature we are being.

"Okay okay, I promise I'll get it this time." He takes a napkin and wipes the substance off of my face and I do the same for him. People start to head to the dancefloor after finishing their cake. "Would you like to dance?" He asks shyly.

"Yeah, I would." He smiles widely and takes my hand. He leads me to the dance floor and we go into the middle of the crowd. He wraps his hands around my waist and sways me back and forth to the beat of You & I (Nobody In the World) by John Legend. It is finally dark and the string lights take full effect as they shine on his face, making his handsome features more visible. I can't help but smile and giggle as he occasionally twirls me around.

"Allis, I just wanna let you know that you really do look amazing tonight." His words are so sudden, but they give me a warm feeling inside. I don't know what to say other than thank you, so I thank him and lay my head on his shoulder for the rest of the song. His fresh, pine scent overwhelms my nose.

After a few more upbeat songs, I tell him that I need to get a drink and will meet him back here in a few minutes. He walks over and talks to some family members as I leave the dance floor. I spot Linley and the other three boys and run over to them.

"Hey guys! I haven't been able to talk to any of you all day!" I say and hug each of them. They all compliment me on how great I look and I thank them before stealing Linley away.

"How are you feeling?" She asks when we get to the drink table. I get myself some punch and hesitate, not really sure what I am feeling at the moment. I go on to tell her about the night I've had with Louis.

I stop talking when I see her looking somewhere off in the distance behind me. "Come find me in a little bit Al," she whispers before quickly hugging me and walking off.

"Can we talk," I hear a soft, familiar voice say from behind me. My heart plunges to my stomach as I turn around and see Luke's face come from out of the shadows. His sleepless eyes glow as bright as ever in the dim light. He was a beautiful disaster. He is wearing a white button up that is unbuttoned at the first few buttons and a tie that has become way too loose. He was perfect, but he was perfectly damaged.

"Luke, what are you doing here?" I quietly demand.

"I'm sorry, I just had to see you...And I really need to talk to you." His voice is raspy once again and makes my heart hurt worse than it already does.