Chapter 48

Song I recommend for the chapter: Chasing Cars by Sleeping At Last

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Love. It's a crazy thing, isn't it? Correction: it makes me crazy.

Through all of the laughs, fights, tears, and smiles, it all comes down to one thing: being in love. I think that the true definition of love is the feeling that you get when you hear that person laugh, or when you look into your eyes and see your whole future; I think that's what it's all about. It's screaming at that person for something stupid, and being able to forgive them for being stupid.

Luke Hemmings is stupid, he's probably one of the biggest idiots that I know; but he is a perfect idiot that I wouldn't trade for the world. Together we're just a couple of idiots trying to make it in this world. There's no one else that I would rather go through the everyday stresses of life with.

The beautiful sound rings through my ears, sending sparks of electricity to all ends of my body. Luke's laugh echoes through the room and I have to hope that it doesn't wake the rest of the household up.

"Babe!" I say with a laugh. "You have to remember that everybody is still asleep, it is only 8." I didn't know why we were up so early, but mornings weren't so bad when I was just laying here with Luke.

"Oh don't even start with me being loud, I'm still surprised you didn't wake anybody up last night," he says with a wink and my cheeks immediately flush.

"I hate you." I try to pout but a small escapes my lips anyways.

"I know," he says before bringing his lips to my forehead. "You're so cute when you're embarrassed," he laughs.

"Shut up!" I yell. His arms wrap themselves around my body and squeeze me tightly against his chest. I forget about our play-argument and inhale the smell of his cologne mixed with a hint of sweat. The sheets are halfway off of the bed and tangled underneath our bodies that are only partially covered by the thin fabric of a small blanket. "Can we just lay here forever?" I ask against his soft skin.

"I wish I could promise you that babe, but I'm woking on only making promises that I can keep," he says back. "I will promise you one thing though." He pulls away from me and tilts my chin up so that I am looking into his big, blue eyes.

"And what's that?" I ask.

"I am your's for the rest of eternity."

I can't help but smile at the words. "And I'm your's," I whisper back. Our lips meet again and I feel the familiar fire ignite inside of me.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The day is filled with riding in the car to the different places that Luke takes me. We go to lunch, then to an ice cream shop. I had thought that the next place we would be going was the beach, but when Luke takes a different route, I had realized we were going somewhere else.

"Where are you taking me?" I ask.

"I wanna show you something," he looks at me and says with a smile. His hair is blowing in the slight breeze from the rolled-down windows, and the sun is reflecting off of his sunglasses.

After a few minutes, he turns down a hidden dirt path. It seems oddly familiar, but I can't seem to remember why. He parks a little ways down and runs to my side to open the door for me. My yellow dress sways with the wind as we walk through the trees. When we step into a bright, open field, I know exactly when I had been here before. Nathan brought me here, it was his "happy place." I don't say anything to Luke, I want to know how he found this place too and why it was such a coincidence.

He takes my hand and leads me to the middle of the quiet wonderland.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" He asks as we sit down on the soft grass.

"Yes, it is..." I trail off. "How did you find this?" I ask.

"Well a couple of days ago, I was with the guys and Lin. We were talking about you and I was trying to figure out what to do about everything. I was such a mess Allis, I would never wish that pain upon anyone. Anyways, so I was just too overwhelmed and frustrated, so I left. I just got in my car and drove. I don't know how long I drove or how I even got here. I drove off of the road and saw the dirt path, so I got my notebook and guitar and found this field. I wrote and wrote, so effortlessly. The song was so easy because I was only thinking about you. All I could think about was how beautiful you would look sitting next to me, now I don't have to imagine it anymore. I never want to have to only imagine that again."

Luke loves the place, he feels at peace here; so I decide against saying anything about Nathan.

"The song was amazing," I tell him instead.

"Well it was all for you Allis. Everything I do is for you," he says with a smile and takes my hand in his. "I can't live without you, I won't do it."

"You don't have to," I whisper. "Ever."

"That's all I ever need to hear," he responds.

"I love you," I say.

"I love you so much." He brings my hand to his mouth and plants a soft kiss on it, sending a chill down my spine.

We spend a couple of hours here, just laying in the middle of the field. All we do is laugh and talk, and I wouldn't want to do anything else.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Sounds like a fun day," my mother says to Luke and I after hearing what we did all day.

"It was," I say and smile at Luke.

The dinner table seemed too big without Louis sitting across from me. I didn't know where he was, or where he had been for the past few days.

"Troy and I are thinking about going out of town for a couple of days next week. We're not completely sure yet, but I just wanted to give you a heads up." Before my mother or anybody else can say anything, the doorbell rings. "Oh, I'll get it!" My mother says and runs to the front door.

When she comes back, I almost fall out of my chair at the sight in front of me.