Chapter 81 : Part 2

Song I recommend: Roses by The Chainsmokers

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When we pull up to our house, I smile largely at the familiar place. I feel like a little kid ready to hop out of the car and sprint inside. I am anxious as I wait for my mom to park the car and as soon as I hear the doors unlock, I open my door and dart out. I run to the front door and push it open, finding Bradley and Josh on the couch playing a video game. I jump over the couch and onto their laps and they laugh hysterically along with me. I get off of them and stand up, holding my arms out for them to hug me.

After squeezing them so tight they both complain, I let go and they stand in front of me with smiles on their faces and wide eyes. Even though it's only been three months since I've seen them, they are already starting to look older. I can't believe that soon my brother, and Josh who has become almost adopted into our family, are going to be entering tenth grade.

"I missed you guys," I say to them. They reply back with a "we missed you too" and then ask all about how travelling the world has been. Before I can begin to tell them anything, I remember that I left all of my stuff out in the car with Luke and my mom. I laugh and let them know that I will tell them all about it after I get everything and unpack.

"I was beginning to think you went inside and fell asleep," Luke says as I reach him. He is hauling our suitcases and bags out of the trunk as my mom is starting to take things inside. I grab a bunch of stuff and drag it in as well.

After finally unloading the car, Luke and I jump into bed and lie down. We had just gotten done with dinner and telling everybody all about our adventures. My mom is very shocked to hear about the incidents with Ben and she is glad that I am choosing not to be friends with him anymore. I knew that my mom always secretly wanted me to date Ben, but she now knows the real him and I know that she is glad that I have Luke.

"What a day," he sighs.

"I know. I'm so happy to be home," I say as I roll onto my side to face him.

"Me too." He does the same and gives me a warm smile. "But, I was wondering if you wanted to go somewhere?" He asks.

"And where do you want to go?" We just got home from seeing the U.S.," I laugh.

"I think you know," he says with a smirk.

I smile back at him. "Let's go."

We both jump out of bed, and I wonder where my sudden burst of energy comes from. The truth is, I am exhausted, but for some reason I feel like I can go run a mile. We quickly change into different clothes and head downstairs.

"Mom, we're leaving for a bit. We'll be back!" I holler from the front door before exiting.

Once we are outside, we hop into Luke's car. He rolls all of the windows down and turns on some music that I gladly start singing along to. He starts driving and picks up the speed quickly, trying to beat what daytime there still is left. As we drive, I let the wind flow through my fingertips and up my arm to tangle my hair.

We pull into the parking lot of our favorite place, and I rush out of the car once we have stopped. I run around and grab his hand and force him to run with me. We kick our shoes off and I step onto the cold sand. It feels good and smooth as is sinks in between my toes and I sigh as I take in the beauty all around us. We made it just a few minutes before the sunset and we take a seat on the ground.

"Now this is what I consider to be home," Luke says. I turn to find him looking softly at me and I feel a warmness spread through my body. "You and me, sitting here on the beach waiting to watch the most beautiful sunsets I've ever experienced. No matter where we've been and no matter where we will go, this will always be my favorite place."