convo

There was no answer. Jennie pressed her ear against the door and heard nothing. She knocked again.

"Lili, pl-" Jennie jumped backwards when the door suddenly opened, revealing an irate-looking Lisa.

"You don't have to pretend when no one's watching." Lisa snapped. Without closing the door, she walked back to her bed.

Jennie didn't know whether the door was left open for her, but she entered the room anyway. She found the blonde sitting down on the bed, eyes fixed on the floor. She wrung her hands together, nervous and unsure of what to say. She had been thinking of the right words all day but nothing seemed enough.

"I didn't mean what I said." Jennie spoke, hoping that Lisa would look up her way.

Lisa still didn't look at her.

"Which part?"

The blonde was still furious and she wasn't exerting any effort to hide it.

"Lili, I'm not good at this." Jennie sounded so small.

"Obviously." Lisa mumbled.

Jennie took a few steps closer and Lisa visibly flinched. The brunette stopped three feet away and knelt down on both knees. She was tilting her head, urging Lisa to meet her eyes. When she made an effort to reach for her lisa's hand, the lisa was fast to pull both her hands away.

"You mean something to me." Jennie said with utmost sincerity.

Lisa sighed. Reluctantly, she tore her gaze away from the floor and met Jennie's pleading eyes.

"Words are just words, Jennie."

"No, please, I… you mean everything to me."

Their eyes locked, and for a few seconds they stayed like that; just looking at each other. Both could see the other's pain.

"I…"

I love you.

Jennie's voice caught up in her throat. She couldn't say the words. They were three simple words but she couldn't say them. She wanted to tell Lisa that she was everything that was good in her life. It hardly seemed the right time or place to confess. Her lisa was hurt and still angry.

She needed her forgiveness first.

"I'm sorry."

Those weren't the words she wanted to say. But it also needed to be said.

"I need space."

"What?" Jennie squeaked. "Are you breaking up with me?" Her voice trembled with fear.