our own escapes

The next morning when jennie woke up, jennie suddenly felt like she was going to be sick. The inside of her mouth tasted like vomit and she couldn’t breathe. She tried to get up only to realize she couldn’t. It was like all her vital energy had been drained. She was lying down, not able to move, glued to the bed like some insect pinned on the board of a collectionner. She started to get scared and tried to at least feel her legs. They were sore and inert. It was then she realized that she was not wearing her clothes from the yesterday anymore.

She was naked, only covered by a baby blue blanket and a T shirt she knew wasn’t hers. Jennie’ mind started to race. How had she ended up there ?

Sleeping in some random attire and resting in a bed that didn’t feel familiar. She put a hand to her forehead, closed her eyes, and released a big sigh to make all the tensions go away. When she opened her eyes, lisa was there.

She froze. It didn’t make sense for lisa to be there. She tried to collect her memories of what had gone down the night before. She recalled the station  she had attended, with lisa as her companion to ran away.

She remembered drinking a bit too much, but nothing that could explain the state she was in right now. She focused so hard her jaw clenched. She then had a flash of lisa getting on a train, while sge was standing on the platform, crying it seemed. She closed then opened her eyes again and lisa was still here. What was happening ?

“Slept tight ?” lisa said while brushing a string of jennies’ hair beside her ear.

Jennie couldn’t reply for she was feeling sick again. In a sudden outburst, she jumped to her feet, grabbed a bin that was resting at the end of the bed, and threw up.

She stayed panting over the bin for a few minutes before she started to regain composure. She was actually feeling better now that she was empty. She suddenly felt two cold hands stroking her sides tenderly.

“Poor thing, you feel better ?”

It wasn’t lisa’s voice, thought jennie immediately. However, the voice did remind her of someone, but she couldn’t remember who.

Jennie was starting to think she hadn’t woken up and was still dreaming, because none of what was happening made any sense to her. The two hands then made their way up to her chest, and placed themselves naturally on her breasts. The unexpected touch made her jump and she turned around.

“chahee!”

“Yeah silly, you seem surprised ? You were fantasizing about some other hands maybe ?”

Jennie didn’t answer. She was dumbfounded. She rubbed her temples and asked chahee for a glass of water, she had still bits of vomit underneath her tongue.

She heard the water running from another room and turned back to the bed she had slept in. The blankets were messy, she noticed her clothes from the night before scattered on the floor next to the right side of the bed. She went to pick them up and hold her pants to her nose. They smelled like cold cigarettes.

She dropped them before she would get sick again. She did pick her blouse up though, and brought it to her heart. It smelled like a mixture of green apple, moisturizer, and some masculine scent she couldn't have named but reminded her of an after shave. It smelled like lisa.

She laughed at the idea of lisa secretly shaving a beard, then sniffed the fabric again. The smell was strangely comforting.

“What are you laughing about ?”

Chahee was standing behind her, extending her a glass of fresh water. She had served it in a wine glass, which made jennie smile. It was exactly something chahee would do.