6

Alex was sitting in a compartment with Luna when Harry showed up at the door. They were going over their notes on the circlet of doom. Alex shoved it away in a hurry.
"Hello, Neville." She said kindly, before standing. "See you with Kichiro tonight, Luna. And congratulations again on getting prefect. You'll be working with Ginny."

"Where are you going?" Harry asked.

"To sit with my friends where there's no one I dislike." She stormed away.

She found Megan, Susan and Charlie in a compartment as Hannah performed her prefect duties.
"I'm counting on you guys to be better friends than Hermione." She said, plopping into a chair. Susan managed a small smile.

"What did you do?" She asked.

"Nothing." Alex pouted. "She just kept laughing at me. All summer long."

"Why?"

"No reason." At Megan's dubious look, she added, "Hermione thinks it's hilarious that Pedro is going to be a teacher at Hogwarts."

"Pedro? From the potions contest?" Charlie asked and Alex nodded. Megan laughed openly.

"In all fairness, I should've seen that one coming." Alex pointed at the shaking Hufflepuff. She tittered disappointedly at Charlie who looked a second away from laughing herself.

"Susan, can I count on you?"

"Do you think Pedro'll give you points because you're such good friends?" She said and Megan high fived her.

"Traitors, all of you!" Alex huffed playfully.

It wasn't very long when a young girl came up to the compartment and held out a scroll to Alex. "Alexandra Weasley?"

"Alex." She corrected, and took the scroll. The girl walked away.

"Maybe it's from Pedro." Megan smirked and Alex sent her the most fearsome glare she could muster.

"It's from Slughorn." She said.

"Who's Slughorn?"

"New potions teacher. I don't know why we need a new one but apparently we're getting a new one."

"He's inviting you to his carriage?"

"Did you see the scrolls the girl was carrying? I'm not the only one. He's cultivating his Slug club."

"His what club?" Charlie looked repulsed.

"Slug club. Gets the students he thinks is going to be the best. The most influential, I guess. Gets them to join his club and basically helps them make connections or whatever with students who were previously in his club."

"My cousin Gwen was part of the club." Megan said.

"Stupid Voldemort just had to come back and make it too dangerous for quidditch games to be held."

"Don't you hate watching quidditch?" Charlie asked.

"Yeah, but I was the best sister when I gave Ginny the tickets. Thanks for that, Meg."

"No worries. If she wants to meet Gwen so bad, you can come over next summer. She always visits." She said. "Alright, I guess we'll see you later."

"I'm not going." Alex denied.

"You have to. You can't avoid him just because you don't want Snape to be replaced."

"That's not why."

"Just go." Charlie said. "Get in the good graces of the new potions teacher."

"But I don't want to."