25

"What are you doing Friday?"

"Brushing up on my Russian. You said Artemii's sending over any information on horcruxes he's found next week, right?"

"Yeah."

"And can we talk about how cool it is that you are actually friends with people in Russia?"

"Person. Artemii is one person."

"Whatever. Anyways why? Aren't Fridays your sessions?"

"Yeah. Actually, Shay wants to meet you. But only if you're comfortable. If we're both comfortable."

"Yes, I'm in. Absolutely. I want to see the magic happen."

"There's no magic." Alex denied.

"She works with you, and helps you. Trust me, it's magic." Hermione said seriously and Alex nudged her away. "So... no telling Pedro?"

"Nope. How about you? You gonna tell Ron?"

"I think I've made my feelings perfectly clear."

"You really haven't." Hermione glared at her. "I'm just saying, you know my brother. If you don't make yourself painstakingly clear, enunciate every word, making sure to leave absolutely nothing between the lines, then he's not gonna get it."

"You don't give him enough credit."

"Okay, fine. You'll see." Alex shrugged.

"Is everything okay?"

"Not at all." She answered but didn't expand. Instead, Alex went over to Saphira who was playing with Kichiro and Rani. The dragon turned her head to look at her and Alex smiled, reaching out. Saphira nuzzled into her hands.

Friday was just around the corner. Alex and Hermione went to Dumbledore's office together. He didn't say anything and just invited them into his floo. They went at the same time.

The fireplace was in a room between a waiting room and Shay's office. Alex knocked and the door opened. Shay smiled.

"Hello." She greeted.

"Hi." Hermione replied, with a wide grin. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too. Hermione, yes?"

"Yep."

"Please take a seat." The girls sat on the sofa side by side and opposite Shay.

"So, this is where the magic happens." Hermione looked around, and Alex nudged her.

"It's not magic."

"Anything that can help you sleep better is magic, and I've noticed you actually sleep now."

"I've always slept."

"Look, something about this place is magic." Hermione denied and turned back to Shay. "You are magic."

"Just a witch. I don't actually use magic on my patients, though." Shay said.

"Last week she even managed a full eight hours of sleep. Without a single nightmare."

"How do you even know this? You haven't stayed over in the dorms in a while and the girls always sleep through the night so they can't even know."

"I have my ways." Hermione said.

"So, you two have been friends since first year?" Shay asked and they nodded.

"Things were simpler then." Alex said.

"But, simultaneously, a lot harder." Hermione added. "Why did you want to meet me?"

"I just wanted to see the two of you together. Sometimes you learn more through observation."

"As opposed to...?" Hermione asked.

"Well, Alex speaks very fondly of you. I wanted to better grasp your relationship."

"You talked about me." Hermione cooed and Alex rolled her eyes.

"Only to say you're a horrible, nagging pain in my behind."

"You talked about me." She poked Alex's arm.

"Well, you're a big part of who I am, and I have been having these sessions, more or less for a year."

"You know, you're a big part of me too." The girls shared a sweet smile and Alex looped her arm through Hermione's.

"What do you think Shay learnt through observing us?" Alex asked. They were in the library that evening, both practicing their Russian.

"I don't know."

"Aren't you curious?"

"Of course I am."

"So what do you think?"

"Probably that we're super close, and that we're good for each other."

"Or unhealthily close."

"We're not that bad. Sometimes I hang out with Harry and Ron, and you hang out with the Hufflepuffs. Or Slytherins."

"Yeah, I guess."

"And we have Luna." Hermione added. "And you've got all those friends all around the world."

"So what do I need you for?" Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Well, someone's got to keep you alive."

"I could survive without you." Alex protested.

"You wouldn't be able to make it one day without me." Alex grinned.

"Probably not."

"It's fine, I need you too. For one, how did you deal with Nott as your partner? Because if he opens his mouth one more time, I genuinely will hex him."

"That's how I dealt with him. But if you don't want to get your hands dirty, I can deal with him for you."

"No, it's fine. No need for anyone to get their hands dirty." Hermione replied.

"Well, if you change your mind..." She shrugged.

"I appreciate the offer." Alex grinned.

Luna was always fun to hang out with. She caught sight of them in the library and sat with them. She'd been looking up books on dryads.
"Ash says hello." She told Alex, who had to admit she'd hardly seen much of the dryad this year.

"I should go visit her or something." Alex agreed.

AN- Favourite line is "Only to say you're a horrible, nagging pain in my behind."