57

Alex had alchemy the next day. She went to class and sat in her seat. When the rest of the class filed in, Draco was missing.

"Pst, Zabini!" She hissed across the room.

"What?" He asked, not bothering to whisper.

"Where's Draco?"

"I don't know."

"Is he off sick? He wasn't in classes yesterday either." Blaise shrugged.

"I haven't seen him since potions." She frowned.

"Last week? That was five days ago." He shrugged. "You're not concerned?"

"Not really." She rolled her eyes but turned back in her seat.

"If we've all settled down." Pedro sent her an accusing look. "Let's get started."

Alex went on a hunt to find Draco the moment the school day was over.
"You're not gonna find him." Blaise pointed out as he followed her. "He's doing his thing."

"Yeah, I know."

"So why are you still looking for him."

"I just want one more chance. To see if I can talk him out of all this."

"You can't."

"I know that too. But I'm not giving up on him."

"Or we could hang out, have fun, and catch him out when he emerges for dinner." He said, and looked around, making sure no one was around, before taking hold of her hand.

"Does he come out for dinner?"

"He goes to the kitchens." Blaise shrugged.

"Are you sure?"

"Look, I know Draco. He goes in after breakfast, loses track of time and misses lunch, then comes out of wherever for dinner." He said. "There's no point in heading all over the school looking for him."

"I already know where he is." She argued.

"You do?"

"The vanishing room. I just can't get to him because the room gives you what you need. Whatever he's doing, he needs privacy, so it won't open up to me or anyone."

"I'm just going to choose to ignore the fact that you casually know that."

"You should know by now. I know everything."

"I don't doubt that." He smirked. She let go of his hand as she heard giggles. A couple Ravenclaws were walking, bunched over a single book. He rolled his eyes but waited until they disappeared again to start talking. "When can we stop pretending?"

"Sick of me already?" She nudged him.

"I'm sick of not getting to show any public displays of affection. I'd like to snog my girlfriend without first having to make sure the coast's clear."

"I thought the sneaking around was supposed to be romantic."

"It was fun." He said. "It was fun. But it's hard. I don't want us to stay secret forever."

"Yeah, well, I don't want you dead."

"Do you really think I'd die because I'm dating you?"

"Honestly, I don't know. If he didn't kill you, he'd definitely do something at least. He's very controlling. He'd keep you under his thumb or something. Or use you to keep me under his control."

"Run me through how you come from that again."

"Well, I have been known to be slightly controlling and neurotic at times."

"Oh, I know that." He said and she gently smacked his arm.

"But I was raised by my parents. It's the old nature versus nurture argument, I guess."

"Do you know anything about your father?" Blaise asked.

"I know he's a muggle." She shrugged. "And I know Morgana never told a single soul, not even Dumbledore, to keep him safe."

"From Voldemort?" Alex nodded.

At around eight (the optimal time to catch Draco, according to Blaise), the couple split up and Alex went to go confront her friend. This wasn't something Blaise should have been there for. She waited around the corner of the corridor that led to the vanishing room.

He finally emerged looking a little hurried and wide eyed and he came. Alex stepped in his path as he reached her.

"Alex!" He looked relieved. He looked at his minions who nodded and left.

"You know the more time you spend with them, the lower your IQ gets, right?"

"For once in your life, just stay quiet." He told her.

"No." She said defiantly. "You've missed almost a week of classes."

"I know, and I'm close. But now, you have to go."

"Can we talk first?" She said.

"Alex! I can't. I know you mean well, but you can't be that naive. This isn't something you can talk me out of. He'll murder my mother. If I fail, he will kill my mother and he will kill me. And it's happening now. So just go to your dorm room and stay there. I don't think they have any Hufflepuffs, not with them tonight. You'll be safe in your room. So go. Now!"

"I know." She told him. "I mean, I didn't know whatever was happening was going to happen tonight. But I knew you were close. You're going to bring them into Hogwarts?"

"Alex, please- Look, if they find you, they'll take you."

"Okay. Fine." She looked at him once more, her expression somewhat piteous. "I'll see you later."

"Probably not." He shook his head. She gave him a hug, squeezing him tightly, before turning to leave.

A/N- So it's all starting 👀

Favourite line is "Well, I have been known to be slightly controlling and neurotic at times."