37

Alex sat down in a chair.

"Please help me."

"No."

"But I'll be with you. That's kind of safe."

"Safe is with your family."

"I thought you were my family."

"Safe is with your parents." He amended.

"After Dumbledore dies, he's going to have the advantage. Hogwarts will not be safe. It'll either go back under the ministry's control, or under his, and I very much doubt the ministry can protect us. He's probably got minions infiltrated within them, like your friend Lucius."

"I'm not handing you over to him."

"You know, if you don't help me, I'm just going to go to Draco. Or straight to Voldemort myself. Maybe I'll let him take me next time we have an encounter."

"You will do no such thing!" He glared, looking up at her. She frowned.

"People are dying and it's not going to stop. Let me help."

"I was in your position seventeen years ago and I went to Albus. He took advantage of that, just like he's taking advantage of you. I will not allow it. You do not have to do what he is asking."

"Yes I do. Because it's my legacy. It's my responsibility."

"You are a child."

"I'm legally an adult."

"As long as your age ends in 'teen'-"

"- I will be a child in your eyes." She finished with an eye roll. "I know."

"I promised you that you wouldn't have to be a part of this. I am doing everything I can to protect you, Alex. Let me."

"I can't. Because if I don't, then I can't help you either. Everyone will turn on you, and I won't be able to help you. And I don't want to lose this. I haven't even finished making your life a living hell and we both know I exist solely for that purpose."

"How am I supposed to have recruited you? Considering you and I have been supposedly estranged for the past two years?"

"Well, everyone knows I trusted you a lot before then. I even came to your house one summer for a 'potions program'. Draco can attest to that." She shrugged. "So, tell him you're working on me. Say after I found out Mrs Diggory died, I came to you, upset, and that with a little time, you think you can reason with me. But not in a way that makes him want to kill more people that I care about in some twisted attempt to sway me fully. It wouldn't be a total lie."

"You really want to do this?"

"What I actually want is for him to just drop dead for no reason so that we can all live our lives, but that's not going to happen, so this is the next best option. Besides, if you're too busy protecting me, who's going to protect you?" He shrugged.

"That's not your job."

"And I can protect Hermione and Charlie better." She added. "Anyways if Hogwarts isn't going to be very safe anymore, then I'm going to have to drop off the face of the Earth. I'm going to have to actually run away this time. Which is tempting, but I can't abandon everyone. So this is my only good option."

"I am going to try to delay this for as long as I can." He told her.

"I know."

"You can change your mind at any point."

"I won't." He sighed.

"I don't like any of this."

"I don't like you having to do what you do." She countered.

"Well I'm the adult." She opened her mouth. "You're still in school, you don't count."

"Okay, my cue to leave." She stood up and turned away.

"You missed classes yesterday." Blaise accused, as she joined him and Draco in the courtyard.

"Yeah, I decided to take a day off." She said.

"He made you notes." Draco said, smirking slightly. Alex's eyes lit up. Blaise rolled his eyes but pulled out a stack of parchment. She looked through them.

"Did you bribe a Ravenclaw for these?" She asked suspiciously.

"No." He retorted. "And if you don't want it, just say so."

"I want it." She pulled it close to her chest. "They're very detailed and neat and I want it."

"She wants it, Blaise. Let her have it." Draco's expression was unfamiliar to Alex, but Blaise must have known what he was talking about since he shoved him.

"Boys." She drawled, in a bored tone. "Behave."

"Nott seems to be using a new wand lately." Draco said. "Would you know anything about that?"

"Would I?" She smirked.

"How did you manage to take his wand? Did you disarm him?" Draco asked, intrigued. "Did you duel him? I haven't heard anything about a duel."

"No duel. I just persuaded him that his wand would be better off in my hands than his."

"The less we know, the better." Blaise cut in before Draco could inquire more.

"Smart boy."

"What's smart about that? I want leverage over Nott." Draco said.

"I thought he was your friend."

"Pretty much in the same way Potter's yours. Only in public." She scoffed at Potter's name.

"He's Hermione's friend." Draco glanced at Blaise. "Not so much mine."

"She punched him, you know." He told Blaise.

"You what?" Blaise looked over at Alex, half hiding his grin.

"You punched Nott, and Draco got punched by Hermione. It's not a big deal. People punch people all the time here. Surprisingly a little too often, now that I think about it. And no one's ever punished for it." She turned to Draco. "And you weren't supposed to tell anyone."

"Why'd you punch Potter?"

"He made some impolite insinuations, and was rude." She said. "What else is a girl to do?"

A/N- So Draco totally knows Blaise is into Alex and takes every and any opportunity he gets to tease him 😂

Favourite line is "I haven't even finished making your life a living hell and we both know I exist solely for that purpose."