14

So, Alex had a problem with tact. Shay had suggested she think about talking to Pedro from his point of view. And Alex tried. Pedro had no other family. He was an orphan, who'd lost his only known living relative a few years ago. Keeping that in mind, she tried to think of it from his point. She couldn't see it. So then she decided she could ask someone intimately familiar with loss. The pain of losing her aunt was too fresh for Susan and Alex didn't want to hurt her like that, so she turned to the only other person she knew with no family. Harry Potter.

Okay, to be fair, she knew he wasn't the only one she knew, but she didn't really talk to anyone else to be asking such personal questions. So Harry it was.

"I need your opinion." Alex ambushed him. He frowned.

"Excuse me?"

"You're an orphan with no family so you're in a unique position to have an opinion and I don't like this either so let's get it over with. If you had family or a relative who you didn't know existed, would you want to know?"

"Oh my god." Hermione let her head drop in her hands.

"So, Harry. What is your opinion?"

"What is she doing?" He asked Hermione.

"Just answer her." Hermione sighed.

"What is this for?"

"I was presented with a hypothetical. Apparently I still have issues over Cedric."

"And so you need to know whether I would like to have a family? Just a couple months after my godfather died?"

"Dammit, I- okay, this was insensitive of me. Sorry." She apologised. He frowned but eventually sighed.

"Personally, I would." He said. "If I could know I wasn't alone, that the Dursley's weren't my only relatives. I'd want to know."

"Even with Voldemort looming on the horizon? What if you were to lose them too? Or they were to lose you?"

"It has to be worth it. We all need something to fight for. Isn't that why your mum trusted Dumbledore with you? Having friends and a family isn't a weakness. It's a strength. I'm not truly alone and that's the only reason I've made it this far. You're not alone either. You've always had Hermione. Do you think you'd have been better off without her?" She narrowed her eyes and walked away without a word in reply. "Oh, great. She's mad at me again."

"Actually no. You made her think. You've made her see things in a way we've been trying to show her for months."

"Oh."

"She stormed off because the advice came from you and she was thinking you'd agree with her. And you, of all people, managed to give her the answer she least wanted and made it logical."

It wasn't enough to convince her, Hermione soon found.
"That's one opinion." Alex said, stubbornly. "Harry isn't Pedro."

"Sometimes I want to bash your head into the wall." Hermione groaned. Alex smiled at her friend before waving Mafalda over. The young girl had just walked into the library.

"Hi!" She smiled.

"I need your help." Mafalda said. "With potions."

"We've talked about this. First you greet and exchange pleasantries." Alex said and Mafalda rolled her eyes.

"Hello, Alex. How do you do? I need your help."

"Oh, just sit down and show me." Alex gave up.

Blaise forced her to go to Slughorn's party. Thrice. And every time she stuck with Hermione and Ginny and sent daggered looks at him. Though Megan's cousin Gwenog was a guest at one. Coincidentally, it was the only one Megan was invited to. Megan introduced Alex and Ginny to Gwen, and the younger Weasley took the meeting in stride. Minimal blushing and stuttering.

The Hogsmeade weekend soon arrived. She decided not to go. She wasn't an idiot, she knew there would be people looking for her and a school sanctioned trip would be the easiest place to nab her. She spent her day with Susan, who didn't really feel like going out much either. They assured their friends they could be left alone.

"Does it get better?" Susan asked. "You're less..."

"Doom and gloom?" Alex filled in the blank. "It doesn't get better, per se. It's still hard and scary. But I can think about him and not want to burst out crying now. And I can go to places that were special to us and remember the good times and not just the fact that he's not here. If that's better, then sure. But still, some days I just wanna curl up into a ball and I hate the world for being so cruel."

"I haven't got any family left." Susan said. "I'm the last one. It's like my family's cursed. It'll be my turn next."

"When I get really upset, I imagine my revenge. A world where Voldemort gets what's coming to him. And he'll die alone and unloved. Because that's one thing that is never going to happen to us. No matter what happens, we all have each other and we all have loved and have been loved and when we die, we'll always have that. He never will."

"He has his death eaters."

"Who scattered and denied they were his followers when he disappeared. That's fake loyalty. They don't love him. They don't even like him. They like power."

"Strangely, that does make me happy." Susan said.

"And, you know. You're not cursed. You just come from a really good and powerful family and he was threatened by them."

"I'm gonna be just like them." Susan said. "I'm going to help defeat him and be part of the ministry and make some changes. Some good changes and make sure the corruption ends, just like aunt Amelia."

"Yeah you will." Alex grinned.

A/N- poor Susie 😭

Favourite line is "We've talked about this. First you greet and exchange pleasantries."