47

Alex was studying in the library with Hermione. The Gryffindor had been complaining that Blaise seemed to be monopolising all of her time and that they hadn't done much work together in ages. Alex had to admit Hermione had a point. So she resolved to spend the entire day with her friend.

It was a bit of a surprise to see Blaise appear and fall into the seat beside them.
"I thought you told him you were hanging out with me today." Hermione didn't bother to lower her voice.

"I did." She said in English and switched to Japanese. "Do I have to bring up all the times you brought Harry along?"

"Fine, he can stay." Hermione grumbled, and turned back to her textbook.

"Nice to see you too, Granger."

"I assure you the feeling is not mutual." Alex nudged her. "But apparently I have to be civil with you."

"Why do you hate me so much? I didn't think you were one to buy into house prejudice."

"I don't trust you." She said. "Alex means a great deal to me, and I definitely don't trust you with her. But for some reason she likes you, so I'll deal with it. If you do hurt her, though, I'll deal with you."

"If I did do anything to hurt her, she'd kill me herself. And, no offence, but she's scarier than you."

"I wouldn't underestimate her." Alex offered her opinion. "She set Snape on fire in first year."

"You weren't supposed to ever bring that up again." Alex shrugged.

"Admit it, you're proud of it. You can be ruthless when you're protecting your friends, and you can't deny it. You're actually a little Slytherin in that way."

"Golden girl Granger?" Blaise scoffed.

"Hey! Please be nice to each other for one hour?" Alex asked. "You both matter to me."

Blaise reluctantly shut up and pulled out his potions textbook.

The peace only lasted five minutes. Rachel, one of Charlie's old roommates, strolled over. She came over and placed her hand on Blaise's shoulder. Hermione glanced at Alex who was holding back a grin.
"Hey, Blaise. It's supposed to be a clear sky tonight. I was wondering if you could help me with my astronomy homework later." She batted her eyes.

"I'm busy." He responded. She faltered.

"Are you sure?" Her hand trailed up the side of his face and rested on his head.

"Yeah, Zabini." Alex decided to add fuel to the fire. "Are you sure you don't want a romantic night under the stars? Purely for academic purposes, though, I'm sure."

"As... enticing as that sounds, I have other plans." He moved his head out of Rachel's reach and ducked away from her. "Thanks, but no thanks."

"Maybe next time." She said and flounced away.

"Next time you encourage someone like her, I'm saying yes." He said, unamused.

"Oh, really?" She rested her head in her palms.

"I can't tell if you're being cute or psychotic." Hermione muttered.

"Why choose one?" Alex winked.

"Whatever it is, it's sickening." Hermione grumbled. She stood up. "I'm gonna find a book for reference."

When she left, Alex turned to Blaise. "I've heard it's supposed to be a clear night tonight."

"Oh, really?" He asked as though it were news.

"Wanna help me with my astronomy?"

"Think it might need to be the other way round." He smirked.

"That can be arranged. But I am going to have to ask you to go now."

"So soon?" He pouted.

"I'm here with Hermione. This library is a safe space for us to learn. We haven't done this in a while, and things have been particularly difficult lately. So, I appreciate the company, but I need to spend some time with my friend."

"Okay, sure." He said. He packed up his book (the only one he'd taken out) and walked away.

When Hermione came back, she was pleasantly surprised to see her friend unoccupied.
"Where's Zabini?"

"He had something to do." Hermione smiled slightly.

"You sent him away." Alex glanced up at her friend.

"Well, I know you were uncomfortable, and this was supposed to just be me and you."

"Now I feel a little guilty." Hermione frowned. "You should go. You and he are... new."

"I'm not going, you idiot. I'm staying right here. We haven't hung out in a while, and I miss this too." Hermione looked at her friend. "I know practicing with Doomie and just with sixth year workload in general and the whole Dumbledore thing, we haven't actually just done some quiet studying."

"With you around, there's never a quiet year." Hermione grinned. "Didn't we swear to finish all the books in the library?"

"I think first year was the only year we committed to the idea." Alex grinned back. "After that there was always something going on."

"We tried." Hermione shrugged. "I found this, by the way."

Alex peered over at the book. "Muggle technology and the science behind it? That sounds interesting."

"It's the only thing I know more about than you." Hermione admitted.

"Not true!" Alex rejected. "There's a lot of stuff you know more about than I do."

"Not really. It's not a bad thing, Alex. We all know you're smart. Your brain is incredible." Hermione stated. "It doesn't bother me, it makes me proud. But, every once in a while, when we talk about muggle stuff and I know more than you, it's fun. You'll catch on soon enough, but for a short period, it's satisfying. Like when you correct a teacher."

"I can't believe you compared me to a teacher. I'm not that responsible!" She frowned. Hermione chuckled.

"Come on, Professor Alex. Let's read up."

A/N- Some Alex and Hermione fluff. Feels like things have been too serious between these two lately, heh.

Favourite line is "I can't tell if you're being cute or psychotic." Hermione muttered.

"Why choose one?" Alex winked.