7

"You have to come make fun of Draco and turn him back to normal." Blaise begged, as they left Slughorn's carriage.

"I have to go see-"

"You said you're his friend." Blaise cut her off. "So act like it." She bit the inside of her cheek but nodded.

"Fine." She followed him to the Slytherin carriages. "But I'm leaving if Nott's there."

"Alright."

The carriage was rather comfortable. Alex entered first, Blaise right behind. He had a little trouble closing the door and his attempts at forcing it to close were null. The door snapped open harshly, throwing Blaise into Goyle's lap. Alex watched with her eyes narrowed as she recognised Harry's shoes jumping onto the luggage rack. Stupid invisibility cloak. Considering the look on Draco's face, she wasn't the only one to notice. He didn't say anything, and instead opted to lay back down with his head on Pansy's lap.

"Do us all a favour, Pans, and cut his hair." Alex said in greeting. Draco shot her a murderous glare. He didn't say anything, and she sat on the seat opposite Pansy, and beside Blaise's empty one. "Oh, you're right. He is more frowny than usual."

"I'm not frowny." He defended. "What are you doing here?"

"Blaise begged me to come. Said you were all missing me too much." She teased.

"I did not say that." Blaise said.

"Come on, poser." Alex rolled her eyes. Blaise froze, striking a pose with a wink. "Oh, come on, Draco. You've got to make fun of that."

"You said we could only be friends until I chose a side."

"I said, we could be friends unless you chose the wrong side and actually chose it for yourself. It doesn't count if your parents chose for you."

"What if I chose?"

"You're not even seventeen, and just shut up. It's the first day of school. There's no being mopey and thinking about good versus bad and the grand scheme of things."

"I'm supposed to be your friend." He said, clearly talking about his orders as a Malfoy.

"We were friends long before you were being told to be mine." She said. "Also, anyone know what happened to Snape and why we need a new potions teacher?"

"Yeah, Draco. Isn't he your godfather? You should know."

"Don't worry." Draco smirked, looking more like himself. "We're not losing Severus." He sat up. "And no one's cutting my hair."

"I'm just saying, just a little shorter. I'm not telling you to get a shave it."

"It's nice to stroke." Pansy said, tugging Draco's head back into her lap.

"But it's awful."

"You're one to talk." Draco shot back.

"My hair's grown out again, okay? And I was going through a hard time. Sue me."

"Wait, wait. We can use this." Blaise smirked. He nodded down at her awful knitted jumper. "How far are you willing to go for Draco to cut his hair?"

"No." Alex said, immediately, hugging her arms around herself. Just because they weren't exactly pretty, didn't mean they weren't comfortable. They kept her very warm.

"No one needs to know." Blaise said. "No one's going to notice."

"Forget it. Nevermind." She rolled her eyes.

"Blaise has a point. You can't expect me to do something so drastic if you won't pay up."

"You could start right now." Blaise smirked. She looked at her knitted jumper and pouted. "Just take it off."

"I need some time to think about it." If she was going to give up wearing her knitted jumpers, she'd have to think it through.

"Not so easy when something's being demanded of you, is it?" Draco asked.

When the train came to a stop, Alex heard Harry gasp as Goyle pulled his luggage harshly. She saw the calculating look on Draco's face and knew she wasn't the only one to notice.

"You go on," Draco said to their friend. "I just want to check something."

"No, you don't." Alex said, firmly nudging him to the door.

"Actually-"

"Draco, please." She asked. He flicked his eyes towards the luggage rack but eventually nodded. He left and Alex was soon alone in the compartment. Well, aside from Harry. "You can come out, Potter."

He slid off the rack and pulled off the cloak. "How long did you know I was there?"

"The whole time. And I have to say, spying like a creep? Not okay." He rolled his eyes.

"I'm the creep? Zabini was the one trying to make you take off your jumper. Not that you seemed to find anything wrong with that." He retorted. "And I don't know why you were humouring Malfoy. It isn't doing him any good. He'll probably turn you evil before you turn him good."

"I am sick of you throwing around terms like that so easily. If you don't get along with someone, they're not automatically evil!" She glared.

"He's a junior death eater just like his father and you know it."

Alex didn't mean to punch him, she really didn't. But he was out of line and insulting her and her friends, insinuating things and before she knew it, her hands clenched into a fist and then his nose was bleeding.

"Oh my god!" Her jaw dropped. "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry. Just... sorry." She turned away and ran out of the train.

A/N- it's just dawned on me Draco's parents are pureblood and into the old ways and probably wouldn't be having such things as godparents either... so oops. I guess Snape's just gonna be the, well not fun, but "fun" uncle.

And this is what I mean. Too many opportunities to make Harry an arse. Without context all he hears are the boys urging Alex to undress. From her point of view, it's an inside joke where they're insulting her choice of fashion. So yeah, Alex and Harry- it's safe to say we probably won't get a good relationship 😭

Anyways, my favourite line is "My hair's grown out again, okay? And I was going through a hard time. Sue me."