42

"Sorry." He said. "I misread the signals."

He sounded closer, and she turned around. "Not really."

"Are you sure? I wanted to kiss you."

"I'm a relationship type of girl. I get attached. Plus, you know, my boyfriends end up dying so, a little cursed too. And it wouldn't work. You don't even like me."

"Boyfriend. Singular. One person doesn't make you cursed." He said. "And we're already friends. So, I'd be a little concerned if you weren't fond of me to some degree. I care about you too, and I definitely like you."

"No you don't. You've never been interested in me."

"Yes I have. You've just never realised."

"How long?"

"Um, I realised last year. Around the time you cut off your hair. I thought you still looked pretty despite the disaster." At her irritated look, he grinned. "That was a joke. But it was around that time. We were in the library, you told me I had Gryffindor-ish traits."

"Oh yeah. It was a Hogsmeade weekend, and Snape banned you from the trip. You wouldn't tell me why."

"I got into a fight with Nott."

"Oh." That explained everything. "Even still, you don't do girlfriends. You do girls."

"I might do girlfriends."

"You're saying you want to do the whole relationship thing?" She raised a brow.

"If it's the right person, yes!" He said defensively. "If it's you."

"Blaise.."

"Forget it. Just forget the last five minutes."

"Okay." She let out a heavy sigh. "No, actually. Not okay. How am I supposed to forget this?"

"So how do you feel?"

"You think that's the point? It is far, far more complicated than that. What if Voldemort kills you?"

"I'm a pureblooded neutral remember? As long as I mind my business, I'm fine."

"Yes, and I'm not supposed to be part of that business. You could get avada'd simply for looking at me wrong."

"Is this because of the same reason Draco's supposed to be your friend and all?"

"Yeah."

"So, you mean something to the Malfoy's?"

"No."

"Then why is Lucius Malfoy so invested in your well-being? And did you actually threaten him in third year?"

"Well, yeah. Sort of. But that's not why." She walked past him and back to the window, opting not to sit this time.

"Alex?"

"Okay, I need to talk to Hermione first. Can we continue this tomorrow?"

"You have to talk to Granger?" He repeated.

"I need to get my thoughts together. She helps me do that. Besides, if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't even know I liked you."

"So you like me?" He said, smirking insufferably.

"That's what you took from this?" He nodded. "Okay, fine let's talk. Let's just forget that I have secrets. Actually, I would greatly prefer if you didn't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you."

"Is everything okay?"

"I'm adopted. Voldemort is my grandfather." She said, before hiding her face. She could feel as he got closer.