18

Alex avoided Dumbledore as much as she could. When she wasn't training with Doomie the circlet, or spending time with her creatures she was in the library with Hermione searching for any information on Doomie that might help.

Harry had taken to crashing their study sessions.

"Does he have to be here? Isn't he always with Ron during a fight?" Alex asked Hermione.

"Play nice. Plus Ron's got his tongue down Brown's throat and he doesn't want to see that either."

"But you're supposed to be helping me."

"We already know there's nothing in the library and we can't owl order without people finding out and Doomie's a secret."

"Doomie?" Harry repeated. Alex glared at him before catching sight of Madam Pince. An idea struck her.

"It's totally barbaric of you to write in a book, Harry!" She said, her voice just loud enough for the librarian to hear. "Do you think you know better than published authors with qualifications on the subject?"

Madam Pince narrowed her eyes and came over. "What have you been doing to that book, you depraved boy?"

"It's not the library's." He tried but Madam Pince had already seen the scribbles. His face contorted in rage as he sent Alex a murderous look and she just smiled fakely.

"Despoiled!" Madam Pince hissed in anger, grabbing the book. "Desecrated, befouled!"

"It's just a book that's been written on!" Harry tried tugging it out of her grip.

"That's so uncivilised, Harry. Books should be treasured." Hermione sent her an exasperated look.

Needless to say that was the last time Harry willingly joined she and Hermione in the library.

Soon, Slughorn's party came around. Alex found out Luna was going with Harry and expressed her condolences to her friend. She then offered to go with Luna herself if she wanted to go to the party, and insisted there was no reason for the Ravenclaw to be stuck with him but Luna assured her she didn't mind going with Harry. It was bizarre.

Alex went by herself, knowing there was no way she could actually take someone with her. She ended up spending the first half of the night helping Hermione fend off Cormac.

"Have you seen Hermione?" He said, popping out of nowhere.

"No, I haven't. Though I do need her, so direct her to me if you find her." He bobbed his head and disappeared and Hermione popped back up next to her.

"Thanks."

"Anytime." Alex said and Hermione headed as far away from Cormac as she could. Alex just stood for a moment before Blaise appeared.

"Ah, so you do have good taste." He said, looking her up and down.

"My life is complete now that you approve of my outfit."

"Who'd you borrow that from?"

"A store. And not so much as borrowing as exchanging money for it."

"Well damn, Weasley. It looks good!"

"Don't you have a date you should be saying that to?" He just grinned and gestured to Lizzie, Charlotte's sister. "Blaise, no!"

"What?"

"You do know Charlie can and will murder you if you hurt her sister? And as her friend, I'll be obliged to help her get rid of your body?"

"I'm not going to hurt her. I'm gonna do the opposite of hurt her, actually."

"I'm not protecting you from Charlie. Fair warning." She said before spotting Filch dragging Draco over to Slughorn. "Oh my god. See you."

She headed over to where Draco was with Slughorn, Snape and Harry. Harry looked smug as she approached.
"I was invited." Draco was protesting. She reached them.

"There you are." She cut in. "Thought you'd decided not to come."

"He's with you?" Slughorn looked surprised.

"Yes, Draco's a friend of mine, sir." Harry's smirk dropped.

"How wonderful."

"If you don't mind, Miss Weasley, I'd like a word with Mr Malfoy." Snape said stiffly. Draco looked like he'd rather do anything but, but Alex just shrugged. She saved him once, she wasn't doing it again. Snape led him away and Alex turned to look around.

"Don't do it." Hermione appeared beside her.

"Do what?"

"I don't know, but you look ready to do something dumb."

"Like what?" She said, before walking over to Sanguini. Hermione's eyes widened as she followed after her friend, trying to stop her. "Hi." Alex greeted the vampire brightly.

He looked at her, and then at Hermione who looked a little afraid and very anxious, and then smirked. His fangs stood out, ready to pierce through something. Hermione pinched Alex for getting them into the situation.

"Hello." He replied.

"I'm Alex. This is my friend Hermione. Please don't take offence, she's read Bram Stoker's Dracula one too many times."

"I see. And you aren't afraid?"

"Oh please, there are way too many wizards, including adult wizards, who'd stop you before you had the chance to drink anyone dry." She shrugged.

"Ravenclaw?" He asked. She shook her head. "Gryffindor?"

"Hufflepuff."

"My old house." He grinned.

"You were a student here?"

"Turned shortly after graduating."

"That's how Slughorn knows you?" He nodded.

"So, what brings you to this party?"

"Slughorn left no room for excuses." She shrugged.

"You're a prized student."

"Sounds creepy when you put it like that."

"Crap, he's spotted me." Hermione manoeuvred Alex behind her as Cormac approached.

"You should've invited Ernie." Alex told her. "Just tell him you can't leave me because you're worried. I'll play the role accordingly."

"Thanks." Hermione said, before standing up straight as Cormac hesitated a couple metres away from them and the vampire. Hermione walked over and Alex grinned up at Sanguini.

"Sorry, but I'm going to fawn over you now." She said, before putting a hand in her hair a twirling a strand around her finger.

"Who is the boy?"

"Hermione invited him as her date and she's really regretting it." Alex said and giggled.

"And you're her excuse. Get close to the vampire because you're out of your mind."

"No, I came here to talk to you because I was intrigued. I'm pretending to flirt with you," she flipped her hair over her shoulder. "-because I'm out of my mind."

"Okay, you can stop because that's disturbing." Hermione rejoined the duo.

"How did he take it?"

"He thinks you've lost it so expect some rumours over the holidays."

"Eh, whatever."

"Hello." Luna joined them.

"Luna! You look great." Alex said. "I can't believe you're wasting it on Harry."

"Alex." Hermione groaned. Luna ignored the comment.

"Mr Sanguini." She greeted, politely.

A/N- Favourite line is 'Needless to say that was the last time Harry willingly joined she and Hermione in the library.'