61

Dumbledore's funeral was held the morning before all students left Hogwarts. Alex didn't attend. She retreated to the forest instead.

Magorian and his herd stood at the edge of the forest during the funeral out of respect. It seemed they shared the same sentiment of hating but respecting the old man.

Magorian followed after her midway during the funeral. She was with Kichiro and Saphira. The unicorns bristled nervously as they noticed the centaur but she tried her best to soothe them.

"I didn't think the funeral would be over so soon. Somehow I pictured a lot more eulogies and wails."

"You'd be right. It's not over." He said. "I'm sure your presence is missed more than mine, though."

"I've hit my funeral quota for the year. Besides, I'm not sure how much of a right I've got to be there."

"You disliked him?"

"Sometimes." She said. "He was a complicated man. There was a lot to admire and a lot to hate."

"And yet you mourn him."

"He had his faults, but he was a good man."

"Where do you go from here?"

"There's only one way to go."

"My warning still stands. This road will not be good for you."

"Trust me, I know that." She sighed. "I definitely know that."

"But you're still taking it?"

"I have no choice." She said. Magorian seemed to understand. He nodded, and he cocked his head to the side.

"Your absence has been noted." He told her.

It's your brother. The one with the friend who can change.

"Technically Tonks is Charlie's friend, not Bill's." She told Saphira but stood up to leave anyways.

"Aren't you supposed to be taking it easy?" She asked her brother. He twisted around to find her emerge from the trees behind him.

"I used to have to trek in here to find Charlie sometimes, too." He said.

"How's your face?" She stepped closer to get a better look.

"I'm fine. Don't worry about me."

"You were mauled by a werewolf. I should've finished him off when I had a chance."

"You faced him?" Bill suddenly looked worried.

"I can handle myself. Don't worry about me." She repeated his words and he rolled his eyes.

"Remus said you fed me some potions when I was out of it. One being a mandrake restorative potion?"

"So?"

"Why?" She opened her mouth to answer but he cut her off. "And please try not to lie."

She pulled her jumper to the side and showed him her shoulder. She hadn't put the concealment balm on it so her scar was still visible. "This might sound like one of my lies, but I swear it's the truth. I was attacked by a werewolf once. He bit me, which is where this comes from. I was given a treatment that sort of changed me. Made me not quite a werewolf, but not quite human either. Just a monster, I suppose. When I got petrified in second year, I was given the mandrake restorative draught. It turned me back to my original state, before I was petrified, before I was bitten. It turned me human. I recreated the original potion and kept it as well as a couple vials of the restorative potion. When you got mauled, I wanted to make sure there was no way you could end up turning."

"You were protecting me." He said and she nodded. "I'm going to hug you now." He warned and wrapped his arms around her. She hugged him back. "I can't believe you were attacked by a werewolf." He muttered.

"I'm sorry."

"No. No, you have nothing to apologise for. I'm sorry. I wasn't there."

"Then you have nothing to apologise for, either." She pulled away. Bill didn't look soothed. "Besides he's dead now, anyways."

"What- what happened? Can I ask?"

"Come on." Alex said and headed deeper into the woods.

She led him to her unicorns and sat down on a log. She beckoned her brother over and he sat down beside her. Kichiro slowly wandered over, looking mistrustfully at Bill.
"Is this your unicorn?" He asked and she nodded.

"Yeah. Kichiro. That's his mother Venus, and his father Mars." Bill smiled. "Saphira's flying around somewhere, probably getting a meal."

"This place is incredible."

"Yeah." Alex smiled. "We'll do proper introductions later. Let them realise you're not a threat."

"Sure." Alex fiddled with her fingers, for a while and they sat in silence, before she began her story.

"When I went missing- I was, we were in Diagon alley." She stumbled a little with her words. "Sorry, I should be better at this. I've given this talk about ten times by now."

"It's okay if you're not ready." He told her. "You don't have to talk about it." She leaned a little to the side, and rested her cheek on his shoulder. "You were never afraid of the dark." He said. "I used to think you weren't afraid of anything, till you faced a spider. And even that, I'm pretty sure you exaggerated for Ron's benefit." Alex chuckled.

"I was afraid of snakes. For a long time, I was terrified." She offered. "Now, I'm not so much afraid as I am hateful towards them."

"Yeah."

"I have a habit. One bad experience makes me judgemental. Snakes, werewolves, Ravenclaws." She shrugged.

"Ravenclaws?" Bill frowned.

"Long story. There's only one I can stand." Bill grinned. "I have a salve, if you want. It'll heal the wound on your face permanently as long as you use it soon. If you let the wound heal into a scar, it won't work anymore. Not permanently, at least. So, if you want it, just let me know."

A/N- Oop, so we're at the end of book 6, and omg I can't believe we've gotten this far. Thanks to all of you who've stuck around since the beginning, and to those of you who've recently discovered the series and are still on this journey, and to those of you who are to come who may continue to read perhaps even after book 7 is finished. Your votes and comments always make my day ❤️❤️

As usual, first part to book 7 shall be up ASAP, x

Favourite line is "I have a habit. One bad experience makes me judgemental. Snakes, werewolves, Ravenclaws."