24

After leaving Dumbledore's office, Alex headed right over to Snape's. She didn't bother with knocking or loitering, just walked right in. He was alone. She closed the door behind her before levelling a glare at him.

"Why didn't you say no?" He didn't answer as she just continued. "I mean, you are literally the least liked teacher- least liked person in this entire school, so I know you can say the word no. I know it's part of your vocabulary, I've seen you say it. But, what? It's not bad enough you have to risk your life? It's not bad enough that you have to help that monster and stand beside him and follow him? There is a line, and you can say no. Everything that happened, what? Near twenty years ago? Everything that happened back then was wrong, yes. I get that. But there is a line and he can't ask anything of you. He can't ask you to kill him."

"How did you find out?" She scoffed.

"I hate you. I hate you. I hate you! I don't- I trusted you. You don't have to prove yourself to Dumbledore. You don't have to kill someone, mark your hands with blood to prove yourself. Have you ever actually killed anyone? Do you understand what he's asking of you? The act of taking a life, it takes something out of you. I know this. And you made an unbreakable vow."

"He's already dying."

"I know that. But we could've done something to help. We could've researched. I could've used Doomie. But I can't do any of that. I can't try to save him at all. So I have to stand aside, let him die, let you live with the scars it'll leave on your soul, let Voldemort take more from us, because the alternative is that you die."

"We've already researched-"

"I haven't. And now I can't. Doomie boosts my magic, we could've used her, or I could've gotten counter curse potion recipes from Artemii. I mean, Koldovstoretz is really good for dark magic and dark magic reversals for a reason. But now I can't even try." He looked down. "There is such a thing as too much and what Dumbledore is asking of you definitely qualifies."

"It's too late to go back now, so are you going to yell at me some more or will you sit down and talk to me?" She huffed but took a seat.

"And poor Draco. I can't imagine what he's going through. No wonder he's been such a gloomy gob. Although he did almost kill my brother."

"So, how did you find out?"

"Harry overheard you and Draco at Slughorn's party. About the unforgivable vow, the mission you're trying to help him with, et cetera. And then I was talking to Dumbledore and his hand was still bad. I knew it had something to do with dark magic. Then I attempted a joke that he might be dying, but he didn't laugh and said I was right. Then Ron got poisoned this morning with mead Slughorn meant to give Dumbledore. He's okay now, though, because Harry shoved a bezoar down his throat. Guess something you taught him actually stuck. And I pieced it all together." He looked surprised and impressed and she scowled.

"I'm sorry you had to find out and that you have to live with it. You weren't supposed to know."

"Not even my parents will believe you're on our side if you kill Dumbledore. You'll have no allies except me, and who's going to listen to me if I try to tell them you're innocent. And if nobody believes you're innocent, how are you going to dismantle Voldemort from within? You'll be the enemy."

"It's an opportunity we can't let go to waste."

"That is Dumbledore speaking." She narrowed her eyes. He let out a weary sigh. "Don't do that. Don't act like I'm being a difficult child who couldn't possibly understand. I understand. I understand better than anyone. Remind me, out of the two of us, which one of us has actually murdered?"

"I've signed death sentences, brewed poisons."

"It's not the same." She shook her head. "You haven't actually killed anyone. Not with your own hands. Your poisons were administered by others. And you brewed cures too, so you don't even know how many, if any, people actually died of them. You never saw the results of your actions."

"I know what I'm walking into." He said.

"He's asking too much."

"I know that too."

"So why would you say yes?" He didn't answer and she crumbled into the chair. "I never asked for this. He said you were doing all of this to protect me. You even said it yourself, once. I don't want protection like this."

"It's the only way I can."

"I hate having to be a brat in class. I hate having to watch my words so that it'll be easier for you to alter your memories for when he peruses your mind. I hate that he does that, too. And I hate not being able to come to you like I used to. I hate that you're suffering, and that you're so exhausted being a teacher and being caught between Dumbledore and him."

"I know."

"Stop saying you know." She snapped. He stayed silent. "Do you even have a plan? Beyond killing Dumbledore?"

"I know what I need to do."

"You don't need to do anything. Oh, wait, except you do since you took an oath. A promise to die if you didn't." He didn't look amused. "Okay, that was me being difficult. I'm sorry."

"I will be okay." He said.

"Don't make a promise. The last person who made that promise ended up dead. So just try your best and whatever happens, even if everyone turns on you- I'll know the truth." He smiled softly.

"I heard you made felix felicis." She nodded.

"I did! I actually did and it's beautiful. I gave Dumbledore some doses. I would've given you a vial, except... you know. If Voldemort finds out he might make you use it for some nefarious purpose." She said, before delving into a detailed explanation of all her steps.

A/N- you guys just know Snape is super proud of her and omg I miss them 😭

Favourite line is "You are literally the least liked teacher- least liked person in this entire school, so I know you can say the word no."