10

"Why did you hire Pedro?" Alex asked her headmaster, sitting in a chair opposite him.

"He was one of the only qualified teachers willing to take the job." She rolled her eyes.

"Nothing to do with the fact that he's my cousin?" Dumbledore merely smiled. "How long were you aware he existed?"

"I taught his grandfather, and after your grandmother got close to Voldemort... I decided to keep an eye on the family."

"Would you have ever told me?"

"Wouldn't you mind if I told Professor Sanchez about your link to him?"

"I suppose you've a point. Do you trust him?"

"He's on our side." Dumbledore answered, without really answering her question.

"How sure are you?"

"Veritaserum sure."

"Oh." She had no reply to that. "Is your hand okay, Professor?" His skin looked as though it were dying.

"Ah, yes. Not to worry." He said.

"So, are you ever going to tell me why you punched Harry?" Hermione asked Alex.

"Ask him." She shrugged.

"He won't say anything." Hermione said.

"Then neither will I."

"Fine. Are you going to tell Pedro you're his cousin?"

"I haven't even told all my siblings I'm not related to them."

"Don't most of them know now, except Ginny and Charlie?"

"And Percy."

"Doesn't count, because you're not planning on telling him."

"Yeah, well I'm not telling Pedro either."

"Why not?"

"Subject change." Alex demanded.

"Fine, but bookmark it for Shay."

Alex did exactly that. Her next session with Shay was the next day.
"I have a cousin." She said. "Second cousin, but whatever. And it's stupid but Hermione says to talk to you about it because I don't want to tell him we're related."

"Right. Is this from your mother's side or your father's?"

"My mother's. Her mum's brother was his grandfather."

"And you don't want to tell him, why?"

"Because he may be biologically my cousin but that doesn't make up family. Plus, he's going to get himself killed and it's bad enough I have an uncle who's probably going to get himself killed too. Possibly by the end of the year."

"Uncle?"

"Snape. His brother's my biological father."

"Professor Snape has a brother?" She asked.

"They're not really close, I guess. But yeah. He has a brother who happens to be my biological dad but he doesn't know I exist. I met him once, it was awkward. Anyways, so Snape's teaching defence this year which is dumb because the position's cursed and he'll probably end up dead and Pedro pretty much moved to England because he wants to fight Voldemort and he'll end up dead and most of my friends are light and Susan's aunt was killed in the summer so they're all in danger and I'm pretty sure Draco actually has the dark mark now and I'm worried about him and it's all complicated and dangerous because I know he doesn't actually want to be evil but I know he's under a lot of pressure but I don't want to stop being his friend and everything's super complicated." She ranted and then sighed. "Wow. Didn't expect all that."