8

Alex squeezed into a carriage with Harry, Ron and Hermione.

"Can you fix him?" She asked Hermione.

"What happened to him?" Hermione asked and Alex looked at Harry who didn't answer.

"I punched him." She confessed. "So he probably doesn't want me waving my wand in his face."

"You punched him?"

"You've punched people before. Don't judge me!" She protested and Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Why did you punch Harry?"

"Are you going to fix him or are you going to let him walk into the great hall looking like that?" Hermione sighed.

"Tergeo." She said and the blood cleared up. She turned to Alex. "What's the charm, again?"

"Episkey."

"Right." Hermione raised her wand again but Harry flinched back.

"Wait, are you sure you know what you're doing?"

"Well, Alex has actually used the charm before, so..." Hermione shrugged. "She could always do it."

"Never mind." Harry said, after glancing at Alex suspiciously.

"So, why did you punch him?" Hermione asked her friend, before casting the spell. She continued interrogating Alex after. "I mean, you don't resort to fists."

"Well, I'm in a terrible mood. Just the slightest thing sets me off."

"One, you really need to relax. He'll be here. And don't worry about your cousin. He doesn't even know you're related." Hermione said, switching to Japanese mid-speech. "And two, small things don't set you off. Second year all over again, right? We've been through this before and you don't react with your fists."

"You don't have to have an answer for everything you know. And it's not that. It's that he could be gone and we could never see him again. He hasn't even said anything."

"Exactly. Nothing was said and you're jumping to conclusions."

"Do you have to talk in a whole other language right in front of us?" Ron complained. "We already know everything."

"It's sweet that you think that. But, no you don't. You know about as much as Hermione by the end of first year. Maybe less."

"Definitely less. There was the unicorn thing." Hermione offered.

"Room thing." Alex added.

"Snake thing."

"No, that was second year."

"Oh right yeah. Duelling club."

"Ashburn."

"How could I forget?" Alex shrugged as the other girl thought. "Ooh, nightmare thing."

"Right."

"That's a lot of things."

"Well a year is a long time." Hermione said, sympathetically.

"What snake thing?" Ron chose one thing to focus on.

"I was super scared of snakes." Alex said.

"That's putting it mildly."

"You're scared of snakes?" Ron asked.

"Was." Alex corrected. "Bad experience."

"Again, that's a very light explanation."

"Hermione helped me work through it."

"Only because you didn't tell me about ice cream."

"Subtle." Alex grinned.