29

Hermione had started spending a little more time with Ron and Harry, and hadn't been there when Alex finally managed to find out what horcruxes were. Alex had gone through her day pale and looking sick when she figured it out. If this was what Voldemort had done, then it was too disgusting to think about.

"You should probably stay in bed today." Megan said, poking Alex with her fork.

"I'm not sick." Alex said.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"Are you going to eat anything?" Alex shook her head.

"I should get to class, I've got Care." She jumped out of her seat and headed out of the great hall.

"Five and a half years." Megan sighed.

"You're acting weird." Blaise confronted as they walked back from the forest after their Care of Magical creatures class.

"What? No. What? Me? I'm not... I'm- I'm not acting weird."

"You're stuttering."

"Sorry, something Hermione said."

"What? Does she think I'm not good friend material anymore?"

"No. Hermione doesn't dislike you. I mean, she doesn't know you well enough to like you, but she doesn't dislike you or disapprove."

"So why do you keep avoiding me? You're my lifeline in this class. I can't lose you. If Sinead O'Carroll asks me if I want to study with her in the library one more time, I'm going to quit this class."

"Why don't you? She's pretty. Isn't that your type?"

"We already studied together in the library." He shrugged. "Now it's just clingy."

"You're revolting." Alex rolled her eyes.

"Draco and I are sneaking out to Hogsmeade on my birthday. You in?"

"Gee, I would, but there's an evil dark lord on the loose and I, sort of, value my life."

"You're not going to end up dead."

"Maybe not. I'm a pureblood. Probably be a waste to spill that blood. I'll just end up kidnapped and tortured. Been there, done that, no thanks."

"Been where and done what?" He asked concerned.

"It was a joke, Zabini. But my point stands. It's not all that safe for people like me. I'm a blood traitor, haven't you heard?"

"Yeah, but wasn't Draco ordered to be your friend? You're valuable or something."

"I do wish you a happy birthday, but I'm not sneaking out of Hogwarts."

"Boring. Fine we'll stay in, but it's your job to plan the day and make it fun."

"Why is it my job?"

"You're making us stay in Hogwarts." He said, as though it were obvious.

"I'm not making you do anything."

"So... you'll go to Draco's birthday party but not mine?" He pouted.

"Now you want me to plan a party?"

"Doesn't have to be a party. Just something fun."

"The only reason I went to Draco's party was because Laila blackmailed me."

"With what?" She raised a brow. "Fine, don't tell me. Just say yes?"

"I'm regretting it already." She rolled her eyes.

"And also, none of the ugly knitted sweaters." He said, lazily slinging an arm around her shoulder.

"Don't push your luck, or I will give you one as a gift." He let go of her as though he'd been burnt. "I think it's time for you to go now." She said as they reached the school entrance. He hurried towards the dungeons.

"So I know what horcruxes are." Alex told Hermione.

"What are they?"

"I need to give you a warning first. Are you sure you want to know? I honestly sort of wish I didn't. Some things just shouldn't be known- and that's coming from me."

"That bad?" Hermione raised a brow and Alex nodded.

"It's really bad."

"I need to know though. We need to warn Harry."

"Okay. We need absolute privacy. Chamber in ten?" Hermione nodded.

Alex and Hermione headed to the chamber separately.
"Okay, what's a horcrux?" The Gryffindor asked.

"It's the splitting of your soul." Alex started. "When you see death, it leaves its mark on you, right? It's how people see thestrals. Committing the act of murder is worse. It doesn't just mark your soul- it scars it. There are some spells, some light spells that I will never be able to do. My soul will never be pure. And we both know how messed up I got about it, mentally. Making a horcrux is worse. You have to have true hatred in your heart, and you murder someone in cold blood. Someone helpless and innocent. With a pure soul who hasn't ever killed. Then, with an object nearby, you carry enough hatred for your soul to split and try to evade you, only for it to become trapped in the object. You lose a large part of yourself."

"That's horrible."

"I think that's why Dumbledore wants Harry to get the memory from Slughorn. He needs to know what Slughorn told him. There's no doubt Slughorn told him something, but what? Did he describe the ritual in enough detail, or did he just tell Voldemort what a horcrux was? Did Voldemort give any indication of what he might do with the evidence or was it purely sadistic curiosity?"

"Harry says Dumbledore believes Voldemort has killed, at least, his own father and Hepzibah Smith."

"And we know he killed Moaning Myrtle."

"He's also killed a lot of people during his reign as Voldemort, including both of Harry's parents. Not all murders make horcruxes right?"

"Right."

"Is there a limit to how many horcrux can be made?"

"I don't know. I didn't see anything about that."

"You're right. Some things just shouldn't be known." Hermione shuddered.

A/N- Italy played dirty last night, honestly. Chiellini 100% deserved a red card for that stunt. That ref was so biased and I can't believe he let him get away with just a yellow card. Ugh. And I hate these English fans who are being abusive and disgusting with their behaviour kmt. Just because we lost, doesn't mean you should go around beating up people of colour and engaging in shameful acts. I'm so disappointed with these dumb lots.

Anyways, hope you guys enjoy the chapter and sorry about my rant. Haha, favourite line is "Gee, I would, but there's an evil dark lord on the loose and I, sort of, value my life."