38

"You should write to your parents." Alex said quietly. She and Charlie were the only two in the common room, the latter working on some last minute homework.

"I did. I do. Every week." She answered.

"No, I mean, you need to write to them. Tell them to start preparing."

"Preparing for what?"

"Preparing to go." Alex said. "This summer, maybe even before, you and your family should go."

"Why? What are you talking about?" Charlie had turned to face Alex, giving her her entire attention. "What's going on?"

"You're muggleborn. And things are getting progressively worse. You need to be ready to leave at a moments notice."

"I'm not just going to leave."

"You have to. You and Lizzie are muggleborns. You're, like, at the top of Voldemort's hit list, right under Harry and Dumbledore. And your parents are muggles. Your entire family will be in danger, and with the way things are going, you all need to be prepared to go."

"Where's all this coming from?"

"Do you trust me?" Alex asked.

"You're scaring me, Alex. What's brought this on?"

"Do you trust me?" She repeated. Charlie nodded reluctantly. "Write to your parents, and be ready. You can't tell anyone. Just tell them you're worried. Tell them it's getting dangerous in Britain. Tell them a little break from the wizarding world might be good. And be careful, Charlie."

"I can't just leave everyone."

"You can and you will. We'll keep each other safe, but you have to think about Lizzie and your parents. You're a muggleborn. According to Voldemort, you shouldn't have magic. You don't deserve it. So I need for you to go and stay away until things calm down. I've got some options here." Alex pulled out a few leaflets. "Spain, Brazil, the US, Australia, Canada, Russia or Japan."

"You've been thinking about this."

"I can pull strings if you choose Brazil, Russia or Japan. If you want a clean break, any of the other four countries will do." Alex looked pleadingly at her. "So please, write to them. I have a bad feeling."

Charlie stared after her friend worriedly as she walked away and into the dorms. She pulled out a spare piece of parchment and began scribing a letter. Alex was acting a little weird, so after drafting a letter to her parents, Charlie began to think up a plan.

As usual, Alex woke up earlier than everyone and headed to the forest to start her day with her unicorn. While she was gone, Charlie grabbed the attention of their friends and told them very seriously they needed to talk.

Alex returned just after her free period ended and before the break till her next class to find her roommates looking carefully at her. She grabbed her books, before looking at them suspiciously.

"Um, aren't we going to charms?"

"We need to talk." It was Susan, surprisingly, who took charge of the conversation. Alex looked over at Charlie who wasn't meeting her eyes. "Don't look at her."

"Okay, let's talk."

"Okay, we've given you space and time. You've been off all year. You go to Dumbledore's office every Friday and especially lately you seem a lot more... first year Alex." Megan said.

"I'm not, it's complicated."

"As complicated as you always staying behind after class to talk to Pedro?" Charlie raised a brow.

"And avoiding Snape?" Susan continued.

"And now this. What's going on?" The worry on Hannah's face was transparent.

Alex looked at each of her friends and sighed. She sat down on the edge of her bed. "I have secrets. You all know this. I've always tried to keep some type of barrier up."

"Yeah, we know." Megan said.

"Okay. What I'm about to tell you may make you think differently of me. I won't blame you if you don't want anything to do with me. I just ask that you keep it to yourselves. At least until you've thought about it properly. Because I promise it's never been my intention to betray you."

"Hermione's right." Megan rolled her eyes. "You're a drama queen."

"I'm adopted." Alex said. "Voldemort is, biologically, my grandfather."

There was silence.

"Voldemort?" Charlie repeated.

"Yeah."

"Your grandfather?"

"Biologically."

"But you're not evil." Hannah said. "So how could you be related to him?"

"I dunno." She shrugged. "I grew up a Weasley. That probable had more influence on me than my blood. Besides he only contributes to a quarter of my DNA."

"You're nothing like him. We all know that." Susan said and Alex managed to find the courage to look up at her. "I know that. What happened to my family is because of him. Not you."

"Thank you."

"So why does this mean I have to leave?"

"Because, Dumbledore's given me a task. And I don't think I can protect you. You're muggleborn. As soon as he amasses enough power, you're one of the first people in danger. Even now, you're in a lot of danger."

"What task?" Megan asked. The look on her face showed that she'd already figured out the gist of it. "You're going to go to him. To Voldemort. You're going to pretend to be on his side."

"Yeah."

"That's dangerous."

"I have safeguards."

"Like what?"

"I can't tell you everything. And I won't lie. It will be hard. I have made it abundantly clear on several occasions that I hate him. It'll take time. But I can do it."

"Alex-"

"Charlie, every day is more dangerous. Your parents, your sister, you- you have to leave. You have to be safe. Megan, Hannah, and Susan are purebloods. I can keep them safe. But unless you're with me all day everyday. I can't keep an eye on you. And you guys can't tell anyone any of this."

"Does Hermione know?" Alex nodded.

"Can we go to class now? We're already late."

A/N- Her friends know now ☺️

Favourite line is "But you're not evil." Hannah said. "So how could you be related to him?"