50

"We need to talk." Alex confronted Blaise the next time they snuck into an empty passage.

"Or..." he said and leaned in. She put her finger on his lips stopping him.

"Talk first, kiss later."

"Am I in trouble?" He asked.

"I just need to know how committed you are to the boyfriend thing."

"I'm very committed." He said earnestly.

"I know with the secret romance, we're not like typical boyfriend and girlfriend. But, as my boyfriend, I would really like it if you could get along with my friends."

"Granger and I have a truce." He promised.

"Not just Hermione. I'm talking about Megan and Hannah and Susan and Charlie."

"Why?"

"Because I don't like that my friends and my boyfriend don't get along and if this is real between us, I want it to feel real."

"Okay. Do you want to tell them?" He asked.

"No, I still prefer you not dead. I just want you guys to like each other. Or at the least able to tolerate each other." She said. "Please?"

"Alright, I'll try."

"Really?" She peeked up and he nodded. "Is it a stretch if I include Snape?"

"That's a teacher, not your friend."

"He's like a mentor. He's taught me a lot of what I know." She paused then added. "About potions and defense."

"He hates me and I don't know why."

"But you're a Slytherin."

"Yes, and he'll never take points or admonish me in front of people outside our house, but he still doesn't like me."

"Fine. We'll work on the friends thing first." She said. "We can do the Snape thing later."

"Or never. Can we stop talking about Snape? He's hardly the image I want in my mind right now."

Okay, now that the thing with Blaise had been sorted, Alex felt a whole lot lighter. Her friends noticed.
"Why are you so giddy?" Charlie wondered as they say out in the courtyard.

"I'm not giddy." She said.

"Compared to your usual broody self, you're practically bouncing in your seat."

"I don't brood."

"Sometimes you do." Susan agreed.

"Well, the sun is shining, Harry's had a series of unfortunate events occur this week, and I had a nice sleep."

"That last one is new to you, isn't it?" Megan teased. Charlie, Susan and Hannah all looked at her and then at Alex with a baited breath. Alex's nightmares were a sensitive topic.

"Yeah, I dreamt I smothered you in your sleep." Alex shot back and the tension dissipated. Blaise headed over and took a seat.

"Draco and Pansy are being their usual disgusting selves, so mind if I sit here?"

"Does it matter if we say no?" Megan glared.

"You can stay." Alex answered.

"He can?" Alex sent an imploring stare to her friend and Megan rolled her eyes. "Fine, whatever." Alex smiled satisfied.

"Thanks Megs." A silence fell across the group.

"Well, this isn't awkward." Charlie said loudly. Just then Hermione joined the group. She noticed Blaise.

"Zabini." She acknowledged curtly.

"Granger." He nodded in reply.

"So, who's mastered McGonagall's homework?" Hermione asked.

"You're almost as bad as that one." Susan jerked her head towards Alex. "We only got it yesterday!"

"We're in our NEWTs years." Hermione argued.

"I'm so glad I dropped transfiguration."

"Me too." Blaise spoke up. "It's definitely not the future I've got in mind."

"What future have you got in mind?" Hannah asked.

"Obliviator." He joked. Alex elbowed him.

"He's kidding." She said.

"I am. I hate the idea of further study, actually. I want to be an artist." This time Hermione laughed. Blaise looked at her without humour.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Was that not another joke?"

"He's pretty talented actually." Alex said. "You should see his self portraits."

"They're what I do best." He smirked and Alex rolled her eyes.

"Vain."

Eventually Blaise did leave. The moment he was out of earshot, Charlie looked over at her.
"He fancies you." She told Alex who snorted out a laugh.

"Maybe he was your secret admirer last year." Megan agreed.

"No way. And what makes you think he fancies me?"

"Right, because Blaise Zabini would hang out with a muggleborn for fun."

"He would." Alex said thoughtfully. "Your sister was his date to one of Slughorn's parties."

"Yeah, but nothing happened between them."

"I told him if he hurt her, you'd kill him and I'd let you." She said.

"Oh." Charlie said.

"Even still. There were some looks." Megan didn't let it go. Susan agreed with a hum. Alex glanced over at Hermione.

"They're right." She said solemnly. Alex made a mental note to murder her friend later.

"And it's not like you helped any." Susan pointed out.

"Yeah. The poor boy probably thinks he actually has a chance with you." Charlie said and Hermione couldn't hold in her laugh.

"Sorry, sorry. The idea of Blaise and Alex..." She said as an explanation.

"You're all imagining things." Alex tried to shut down the conversation. "Blaise walks around with, like, a different girl every week."

"He hasn't actually done much of that lately." Hannah added thoughtfully.

"He's probably focusing on school for once. I don't know. Why are we talking about this?"

"Why not?"

"Because it's stupid." She shrugged.

A/N- I love that Hermione hates Blaise but will tolerate him for her friend, lol. Wouldn't it be so sweet if Alex died and they finally actually became friends, bonding over how much they cared about her? It's not going to happen, don't worry. I'm not killing Alex. I don't know if they'll get ever along, but I'm not going to kill off Alex. That is one of the few things I am certain of. Also, new character unlocked in the next book 😏

Anyways, favourite line is "Oh, I'm sorry. Was that not another joke?"