12

Snape was a great teacher. Alex already knew that. He was brilliant and, without needing to worry about any potential explosions, a bit more laidback than he was in the potions lab. Still, she couldn't have her old relationship with him. He was still a spy and she was firmly against Voldemort. So she summoned her annoyance at the fact that he took the defense job and used it to be difficult in class. It was easy. Nothing compared to Harry (with his 'no need to call me sir, Professor' and disregard for the teacher. That was a step way too far and earned him detention. Good riddance, she thought).

She hated it. She hated not having her uncle anymore. Shay had advised her to talk to Snape about her apprehensions, but Alex couldn't do that. She couldn't tell Shay that Snape was a spy. As much as she trusted Shay, she couldn't betray him like that. So she was stuck in misery.

"Bad day?" Hermione asked, poking into her thoughts.

"I'm an idiot." Alex answered.

"No, what you are is a drama queen."

"The potions contest. I wanted to take part ever since I was a child. The first time I heard about it, I was taken in. And I've tried to deny myself anything that would distinguish me from others. Saphira's a secret from most of the school. Venus's blessing and the circlet of doom and Kichiro are things I've tried to keep hidden. Maybe everyone knows I spend most of my time with unicorns in the forest, but they don't know everything. The founders' areas, the room of requirement. I thought if I could have one thing it would be the potions contest. I would be okay with no one knowing about everything else because I had the contest."

"Have you changed your mind?"

"No, absolutely not." She disagreed. "I don't want anyone to know. I mean, obviously it would be really cool if people did, but it would be bad. Because, then he'd know and that's bad and I don't want to be a weapon again."

"So what's wrong?"

"I'm an idiot." Alex repeated. "I took part in one of, if not the most exclusive potions contest, and won, and now Slughorn thinks I can make felix felicis and there's no way out of that because if I tamper with the potion, I'll end up blowing the entire potions lab to bits. And if I don't and I make it correctly then I'm a seventeen year old making one of the most difficult potions that even some potions masters have trouble making."

"Can you make it?"

"Yes."

"Don't let him take potions away from you. You've given up a lot. He doesn't get to take your love for potions away too."

"What if I drop potions?" She asked. "I can say it's too demanding."

"You're not dropping potions." Hermione denied. "I won't let you give it up. Potion making is who you are. As your best friend, I won't let you lose that. You are going to go and make the best felix felicis that you can and then you're giving me a dose because where else am I going to get it from?"

"Fine. But I'm running away." She said. "I'll go home for Easter and never come back. No one will be able to find me."

"Where will you go?"

"Abroad. Someplace I can blend in. Maybe Australia or New Zealand."

"Yeah, and what's your name gonna be? You're going to have to change your name if you want no one to find you."

"I might go for the obvious. Amanda Greasley."

"Ah, right. Of course. Amanda. A nod to Morgana and Andromeda."

"And to you and me. Greasley. Granger and Weasley."

"You're a sap."

"Well, if you marry my brother, you'll be a Weasley and we can't let the Granger name totally die out."

"I don't fancy Ron. Besides, I'm obviously coming with you, so what would my name be?"

"That's the beauty of it. You get to pick. Something less Shakespearean, otherwise we'll be easy to find.

"Rose. I've always liked the name."

"Alright then. Amanda and Rose Greasley."

"Taking over Australia. We could glamour some transcripts, enrol into a school. Go on to university and live muggle lives."

"Would you really come with me and leave everything behind?"

"You're my best friend. You're my first friend. And honestly, I know you have an abundance of family, but I never really have. And I consider you my sister." Alex turned and hugged her friend furiously.

After a few moments of silence, Alex piped up. "In-law?"

"Oh, for god's sake." She pushed Alex off her. "What makes you think I like Ron?"

"My first clue was the good luck on your quidditch game kiss on the cheek, which, by the way, I know what that means. That was me and Cedric pre-me-and-Cedric. And then there's the fact that when Harry compliments you, it's fine. You can take it. When Ron does, it's suddenly time for a subject change."

"I've never done that."

"You do it all the time. Just last week in potions, when Harry said you were the best in the year, you were pleased. And then Ron chimed in, added that you were the best and you immediately blushed and tried to turn the attention to me. And last year when you got prefect. I said congratulation and you said thanks. When Ron said you were obviously going to be prefect, you tried to turn it back on him. And speaking of the potions lesson, by the way, what else besides freshly mown grass and parchment to did you smell? Plus, the forest may be very natural but there's no freshly mown grass. I do recall, however, that there is freshly mown grass on the quidditch field where my brother frequents."

"I hate you."

A/N- Alex knows. She knows Hermione just as well as Hermione knows her.

Favourite line is "No, what you are is a drama queen." 😭😭