60

Alex emerged eventually and headed to the common room with her friends. Hermione was there.

The rest of her roommates made excuses to leave the room until just the two of them were left.
"I have to tell you something." Hermione told her. "And it's going to be scary and unbelievable, but it's true. It's about Snape."

"What about him?"

"He's not who we thought. He killed Dumbledore." Alex paused for a split second.

She had two options. She could fake her reaction. Pretend not to know, but Hermione would never let her infiltrate Voldemort's ranks if she couldn't trust Snape. Or she could tell Hermione everything and ask her to keep this huge secret from everyone which would take its toll.

"He wouldn't do that." She made her choice, and decided to lie.

"He did. Harry-"

"Oh, and we're believing Potter now?"

"He saw it happen with his own eyes. He doesn't have a reason to lie about something like this. Not about Dumbledore."

"Snape wouldn't kill Dumbledore. I won't pretend they got along all the time, but he wouldn't kill him. That makes no sense."

"I know, but it's true. It happened, and he ran away with Malfoy. This changes everything. You can't trust Snape. He's probably already told Voldemort all about Dumbledore's idea to turn you into a spy, and that you're his niece."

"No. He wouldn't."

"We don't know what he would and wouldn't do anymore."

"If he told Voldemort he's related to me by blood, Voldemort would kill him."

"Why?"

"Because then there would be someone I could choose over him. He's obsessed with being wanted, Hermione. Some part of him is the little boy who was never loved and never chosen. It's what drives him. He killed Morgana's mother so she could only be dependent on him."

"Okay, maybe he'll leave that bit out. What if he tells Voldemort about the plan?"

"With what proof? I have no loyalty to Harry Potter, and turns out the Grangers do have pureblood ancestries, and magical blood. Just, somewhere along the line, one of your ancestors was born a squib. The magic in your blood proved too strong to stay dormant, which is why everyone thinks your muggleborn."

"I don't have pureblood ancestry."

"Well, not in reality, but in theory it's a good explanation. The idea came to me when Slughorn thought you were related to Dagworth-Granger. I looked through lineage books and traced back and I found a squib born to that line. He disappeared off the face of the earth, so it's plausible."

"Why?"

"I imagine he didn't want any connections to the magical world."

"No, why would you go through all this research?"

"Because at some point, if he thinks I truly believe in him, he's going to tell me I should kill you. To prove my devotion to his cause. Muggleborns shouldn't exist. But if I can make him believe you have magical blood, you'll be safe."

"When did you start losing sleep? I thought you were doing better?"

"I am. I'm not losing any." She set her katana down in her trunk. "But, speaking of, it's getting late and we should all be getting some right now."

Alex ended the conversation there. Talking to Hermione any longer would only serve to make her slip up and eventually Hermione would find a way to get the truth out of her.

The next morning, she snuck out of her dorm to go see her brother. One of the other beds had been pushed right next to Bill's. Fleur was sleeping on it, her hand gripping Bill's tightly. He was awake.
"Morning." He whispered with a smile.

"Good morning." She greeted back, sitting on the chair beside his bed.

"What do you think? Do I look like a monster?"

"No more than usual." She fell back into familiar banter. "How's Fleur doing?"

"She's asleep. I only woke up about a half hour ago." He said.

"You know, she stood up for you when mum thought the wedding was going to be called off."

"Called off? Why?" He looked panicked.

"Because mum thinks she's a shallow slag. I should say thought, actually. I wasn't here, but Hermione told me everything. She said Fleur went off at mum, said she loved you no matter what, and no werewolf nor scarring would come between you. Plus, she's pretty enough for the both of you. She said the scars prove your bravery. Now she and mum finally get on."

"And all it took was a little scratch."

"There's nothing little about your wound. You look like Frankenstein's monster."

"Franken-who?"

"Muggle story. Mad scientist who tries to get around the laws of nature and bring someone to life. He dug up graves, and anywhere he could find a dead body, for body parts and put it together and used science to bring it to life. But the creature was ugly and unnatural and Frankenstein ran away because it was so hideous leaving the monster to fend for itself. The monster lives in isolation for a while, learnt how to speak by spying on a nearby family. He wanted to understand himself and his place in the world but everyone he encountered thought of him as a monster, so he killed Frankenstein's brother and framed a woman who lived with the family. He found Frankenstein alone and they had a talk. The monster asked him to make him a female mate with whom he'd go live in isolation with, away from everyone and everything. If Frankenstein didn't make her, the monster said he would destroy Frankenstein's life. So Frankenstein started but eventually couldn't go through with it because he feared they'd procreate and start their own race of monsters. The monster then killed Frankenstein's closest friend and the woman he was supposed to marry on their wedding night. Frankenstein went on a hunt for the monster and chased him until he died. When the monster saw that he died, he was overcome by grief and vowed to go kill himself. He disappeared and was never seen again."

"That's a creepy story. Muggles can't actually do that, can they?"

"Of course not. Nothing can bring a person back from the dead. It's just a story."

"Should I be worried about your literature taste?"

"Hermione made me read it." She glared at him.

A/N- Oop. So, my favourite line is "Oh, and we're believing Potter now?"