40

"Absolutely not." Alex said as Megan tried to explain her new standpoint. "You're not doing it."

"Yes I am."

"No, you're not."

"You keep trying to protect all of us. And I get Hermione can't protect you with this, but I can. We are friends, Alex. You're not talking me out of it."

"Whether or not you agree with me, you're not doing this. I won't let you."

"Let me? What are you, my mother?"

"Megan-"

"You're not the boss of me. I am doing this." Megan crossed her arms. "I get to have opinions of my own. I get to choose what to do with my life. Right now, I choose this."

"Megan, it's too dangerous."

"For you too."

"I can protect myself."

"So can I."

"I can't bring you into this. It's not going to be easy."

"Definitely not. I know that."

"Then why?"

"You'd do the same for us." Megan said simply. "You know, you're always looking out for us. Make no mistake, you can be a total loser sometimes. A lot of the time. But you're our friend too, so for the love of god, accept help. Let me help you with this task."

"I can't." Alex shook her head. "I know what I'm walking into. I know what I'm going to have to expect. You don't."

"Okay. Since I'm so clueless, explain it to me."

"Do you know why I'm a sixth year? Instead of a seventh?"

"We don't talk about your year away." Megan shrugged.

"I was with Voldemort. I'll save you the details, but it wasn't great. I had to do things I'm not proud of. For the longest time I was convinced I couldn't possibly be redeemed."

"I remember. But you were a child."

"I still have trouble believing it. I'm working on it, but I still sometimes think you guys deserve a hell of a lot more than me. So I try to push you away. And it's not okay of me to do that to you, I know. So I'm working on it. But Megan, I know the risks. I know what will be expected of me. I know what this job entails. I was with him for a year. I know how he operates. I know I'm probably going to have to do things I'm not proud of again. I'm not taking you with me so that you go through it too."

"I don't want you to go through this alone."

"I know. And I love you so much for that. I do. But I don't want you to have to be anywhere near it. Near him. Besides, I won't be alone."

"You won't?"

"No. I have someone looking out for me."

"Who?"

"I can't say, but I'm not alone. And I'll be fine. Megan, I'm so grateful to have a friend like you. But this isn't something I can take you along with me in good conscience."

"So I'm supposed to just stand by? Do nothing?"

"The most I'm willing to do is keep contact. I'll be gone, but I won't be too far away. And I'll be at Hogwarts next year, so we'll be together there too. And you're right. I can't tell you what to do and what not to do, so please. I'm asking you not to do this. I can't keep us both safe."

"You won't lose contact? I'll be able to check if you're okay? We can still be friends?"

"I promise."

"Fine, I'll drop it for now." Megan said. Alex smiled.

"Thank you. And thanks for wanting to do this."

"Whatever." Megan tried brushing it off.

It wasn't long before Dumbledore called Alex up to his office.
"You know why you're here?" He asked.

"I have an inkling."

"She cannot go with you."

"Apparently I'm not the boss of her. I can't dictate her actions."

"Perhaps." He sounded disappointed.

"I'll fix it. I'm not exactly eager for anyone else to be part of this." She said. "Don't worry. I will handle my friends."

"See that you do. Should you fail to, your life as well as your uncle's will be at stake. She has no experience with occlumency."

"I know." She said. "You don't have to convince me it's a terrible idea. I already know it is. She's not going to give up. But she's agreed she won't be rash and that she won't be with me when it comes to him. I won't be cutting myself off from her or my friends. I get to trust who I trust."

"I never took you for naive."

"Really? You manipulated me into trusting you. I would call that pretty naive, Professor. Maybe it's stupid. Maybe we're not supposed to trust anyone. But I do. They've never done anything to shake my faith. So I'll give it a go." She said. "I'm doing this my way, Professor. I'm going to do what you've asked of me, but I'm doing it my way. I'm going to make sure I don't destroy myself in this war, because I've got something to live for. Whether or not you agree."

"I hope for your sake you're right about this."

"No offence, Professor, but you don't get an opinion. You've meddled enough in my life. Like I said, I do trust you. And I trust that you want the best for our world. But I cannot trust that you'll do what is good for me. That's never been much of a concern for you."

"Of course it has."

"No it hasn't. Which is fair, because I don't expect any of that from you. You're my headteacher. You're not my family. You have no obligation to look out for me beyond school. But you also had no right to interfere with my life as you have. When I was born, you placed me with a family I had no business being a part of. I could have stayed with Andromeda like Morgana wished. She lives completely off grid, after all. Who'd have found me? Or I could have gone to my actual blood relatives. Pedro and my great uncle. They would've been my next of kin, since Voldemort was out of the question. South America was the safest place I could have been. Are you really going to tell me placing me with my family, with the Weasleys, wasn't more of a strategical move than an attempt to keep me safe?"

"Morgana had no clue her family extended past Voldemort."

"You did. You told me yourself you kept an eye on Colin when he moved to Brazil."

"Do you wish I had sent you away? To South America."

"That's not the point." She said. "I'm not asking for you to make me your priority. I'm not asking you put me above saving our world. That would be selfish and absurd. I'm not even asking for answers to your actions in the past. The point is you manipulate and control every variable. If I'd grown up a totally different life in Brazil, maybe I wouldn't be so motivated to defeat Voldemort. Though, seeing the way Pedro's turned out, I suppose I probably would have. But you exploit anything and anyone at your disposal, and if I continue to do things your way, I'm not going to survive. And I have things I have to live for. So I have to do it my way and trust in the people around me. Or I could go to my uncle and tell him I've changed my mind and stay far away from Voldemort."

"Very well." Dumbledore said. Alex took a deep breath and left.

A/N- She went off lmfao. I'm so proud of her. I guess therapy works, theoretically. Also Colin is the name of Pedro's grandfather. I had to call him something other than Pedro's granddad all the time.

Favourite line is "Really? You manipulated me into trusting you. I would call that pretty naive, Professor."