52

Alex and Hermione bumped into Pedro on their way to the great hall.
"Hey." He greeted with a smile.

"Hi." Hermione replied.

"You're a teacher. Why are you walking with us?" Alex asked.

"Am I not allowed to?" He frowned.

"It's weird."

"No, it's not." Hermione rolled her eyes and looked up at Pedro. "She's just paranoid." She switched to Japanese, and turned to Alex. "You have too many secret relations. Secret cousin, secret boyfriend, secret uncle."

"Shut up, Granger." Alex hissed.

"So, Pedro. How are you assimilating into England?"

"I'm doing great." He said. "Thanks."

"Do you like it here?"

"Yeah, it's pretty nice. I'm planning to stick around for a while."

"I'm planning to stick around for a while." Alex mimicked in a nasally voice, pulling a face.

"She's not really fond of the idea." Pedro continued. "She's younger than me, and my student, and yet thinks she has more of a right to try to protect me than I do to make a choice concerning me."

"I'm just saying," she looked around and lowered her voice. "Signing up for war for someone you hardly know is dumb."

"I signed up before I even knew you and that we were related. I'm staying because I have a relative, my very last living relative by the way, and I want to help put an end to this war. I have the right to do this."

"If it helps, I think you're right." Hermione chimed in. "I think the more people here to help protect Alex, the better."

"Not helping!" Alex said. "It's bad enough you were encouraging Megan."

"Oh, I'm Alex, poor me, people care about me." Hermione mocked. Pedro laughed.

"No. You two do not form an alliance. I draw the line there. Okay? Hermione, take those socialising skills elsewhere, not here. And you, Pedro, I may be younger than you- only by two years, mind! But I am more experienced than you. I have seen and taken part in far more horrors than you might imagine. I know what's ahead, so I do have the right to try to protect you. If you know what's good for you, you'd go back to Brazil and stay safe and with your friends." She said and grabbed Hermione's hand and speed-walked into the great hall dragging her friend along.

"Hey, Hermione." Hannah greeted.

"Hello."

"What's up with your friend now?" Megan sighed, taking not of Alex's moody expression.

"Apparently I'm too friendly and not friendly enough at the same time."

"That's a great talent." Hermione looked at Charlie curiously.

"There's something different about you." She said, with a squint. "Did you get your ears pierced or something?"

"That's Lizzie." Alex said, glancing briefly at the Gryffindor in disguise, before reaching for some food.

"Five seconds." Lizzie said. "It took you barely five seconds this time. How?"

"You have a better posture. Charlie slumps."

"Why are you two switching around anyways?" Hermione asked. Lizzie moved to answer but Alex quickly reached over and covered Hermione's ears.

"No. She doesn't want to know." Alex shook her head and removed her hands. "H, you're a prefect and this isn't something you want to know about."

"Thanks for the warning. Forget I asked."

"Really?" Lizzie asked. "Just like that?"

"There are limits." Alex said. "We can only get away with small offences. If you guys were switching to cheat, on the other hand, I can't just tell her to trust me and look the other way."

"It's a lot easier if you just don't think about it." Megan said. Alex grinned and glanced over at Charlie who was sitting with the Gryffindors.

"No one's noticed Charlie yet." She said.

"I'm slightly offended." Lizzie scowled.

The next day, Alex spent her time outside with Saph and the unicorns. She watched Kichiro chasing Saphira as she brushed through Rani's coat. Luna joined her soon enough.

"Professor Flitwick asked me about my future today." She said.

"What did you tell him?"

"Magizoologist. Except I want to find proof of the creatures no one else ever sees."

"That sounds great." Alex grinned.

"He didn't seem to think so." Luna didn't sound upset or offended, just confused. "He thinks I should choose something more reliable."

"He doesn't understand." Alex told her. "I don't think most people do. You have wonderful vision, Luna. And you're open to anything. That might be why we can't see them."

"Do you really believe me? Or are you just humouring me?"

"I'm not humouring you. Just because we can't see things, doesn't mean they aren't real. It's like we're all muggles and you're a witch. And we don't have the natural affinity to see these creatures, mainly because we're so self-absorbed, but you aren't. Your mind is free to comprehend the layers to this world." Alex said. "So yes, I believe you. I believe you see life in a wonderfully different way to the rest of us. I believe you see these creatures and that one day you'll prove it."

"Thank you."

A/N- Luna is like Alex's little sister. Alex definitely sees her the way she sees Ginny 🥺

Favourite line is "Oh, I'm Alex, poor me, people care about me." Hermione mocked. Pedro laughed.