34

Hermione would never stop protecting Alex. And she'd do anything to make sure Alex didn't end up losing any more of herself, especially not to Voldemort. But she also knew how stubborn her friend was and how much she'd do to protect those she cared about.

There was only one thing she could think of that could stop Alex. It was a last resort but all she had. She wouldn't stand by and watch Alex sacrifice everything because Dumbledore had gotten it into her head that it was her duty.

She knocked on Snape's office and walked in. He glanced briefly at her before looking back at his desk.

"I need your help." She said. "It's about Alex and it's urgent." He looked at her but remained silent. "Dumbledore's convinced her that she has a role in this war. As a spy."

"You must be mistaken."

"I'm not. I don't know what's going on exactly, but I do know she thinks this is something she has to do. She doesn't want to. It scares her. But he's making her believe that's where she belongs. She thinks it's the only way to protect the ones she cares about, and you're the only one who can stop her." He nodded slightly and Hermione left the room.

Snape didn't move for a moment, instead gripping his quill so tight, it snapped in his hand. He waved his wand and the pieces mended together.

"Our deal was that you'd leave her out of this." Snape confronted the headmaster.

"That was before circumstances changed."

"She is a child."

"Older than you were when you joined a side."

"We had a deal. I will do whatever you ask, as long as she is safe and out of his grasp."

"Once you cut ties with the order, you will have limited opportunity. They will believe you are completely on his side. It will be considerably harder to aid them if they do not trust you."

"I don't care. She cannot be your pawn, Albus."

"Except she's your best chance. She will be the only one to ever trust you and the only one who can keep some ties with the order. She may also be the only one Voldemort could trust."

"He won't trust anyone."

"To impress her, coerce her to his side, he might."

"I promised to protect her." Snape said. "I will protect her, even if I have to fight you on it."

"Severus, my boy. Protection comes in many forms. Her help will bring about the end of this war far sooner. And with the end of the war, comes peace. For you, for her."

"If she ever has to go back to him, that peace will be unattainable. She is healing from all she has gone through. You have no right to disrupt that."

"I have said all that I need. It isn't really up to either of us anymore, is it?"

"Alex! Alex! Come, save me. You're the only one with sense." Megan called her over as she walked into the common room. Alex raised a brow but sat down.

"What is it?" She asked.

"You're the only one with brains which is how I know you'll laugh at this." Megan handed her a note.

Should I wonder, the feel of the sun upon my skin
A single glance at your beauty can prove as striking.
Like a blind man suddenly blessed with nature's view
I too am humbled by your incredible sight

Should I be in want of a single happy thought
I need only gaze at your fair skin
To watch the cascades of your dark hair shift
And take notice of your green eyes' shine

O fair maiden, should you care to know who I am
You need only follow the hints I send
Fare thee well, my love
Until next time at least

Alex burst out laughing, throwing her head back as she clutched the chair.

"Thank you." Megan grinned. "This is the appropriate response."

"My god, that was truly something awful."

"Thank you. Those three think it's romantic."

"I can't believe someone sent you a poem." Alex snickered.

"It's sweet!" Charlie defended.

"It's stupid."

"It's like whoever sent Alex that Valentine last year." Megan agreed.

"Exactly. Besides it's terrible. Clearly from a hormonal teen." Alex said before quoting a line. "Should I be in want of a single happy thought..."

"Alex!" Megan's jaw dropped, not expecting it. "I need a bath." She shuddered.

"What? I'm just saying."

"It's a disgusting thing to say. Why would you say that?"

"Oh please, I don't know why you're blushing. We all know you've spent some personal time in the sixth floor broom closet with Terry Boot." Megan threw a cushion at her.

"We all know what?" Hannah looked shocked.

"Or maybe we don't all know that." Alex glanced at Megan apologetically.

"There's nothing between Boot and I." Megan denied.

"Yeah, I'm sure there's absolutely nothing between you two." Megan reached over and shoved Alex.

"He's a bit of a prat though." Susan said.

"Yeah, way too much of a braggart." Alex agreed.

"To be fair, he has a lot to brag about." Megan said, keeping her eye on Alex who snorted in response.

A/N- Alex and Megan have such a funny friendship lmao. Also Snape ☺️☺️ he will fight Dumbledore.

Favourite line is "Yeah, I'm sure there's absolutely nothing between you two."