Part 7. Team Cap.

„Why are you doing this?" Steve asks [Y/N] whilst they take a short walk through the building. He quickly remembers her sarcastic answers to push people away, which he doesn't want to happen. "I know why I'm doing this and I know why Sam is doing this... but why do you?"

"Becoming an enemy of the state again? I'm familiar with it" answers [Y/N]. She can see the effort Steve puts in to get to know her. It's been a few hours since they fought against Bucky until Steve knocked him out and they went into hiding. Steve and Sam didn't let her get away without a few answers, like who she is and where she knows him from but she insisted on staying anyway. At least until she will know that Bucky is safe.

"Will you ever tell me more than these vague information?"

A sad smile forms on [Y/N]'s lips. "He warned me, you know? Several times, to be honest. To stay away from him."

"But you didn't listen?"

"I don't know. I have seen the pain he's going through. It's just not fair that he's being chased again."

"Yeah... I know" mumbles Steve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It takes some hours until the person opposite from [Y/N] starts to move slowly. His arm is trapped in a vise. Sam had insisted on it, for self-protection and even if Steve was not enthusiastic about the idea, he had agreed. They couldn't know what person Bucky would be when he wakes up. [Y/N] takes a nervous look over her shoulder but Sam and Steve are still distracted, quietly talking to another around the corner.

"Really can't listen to me for once, can you?" Bucky sighs once he has opened his eyes and sees [Y/N] standing a few feet away from him, whilst she's still looking away. He would be surprised to see her but by now, she's not surprising him at all anymore. The only time that woman has ever listened to him was when he told her to meet on that roof in Bucharest. Not that she has had much of a choice there.

"How are you?" she asks carefully whilst the small smirk on her lips is the only answer to his question.

"How long..." he mutters.

"A couple of hours. Not even a full day." Ashamed, Bucky drops his head down again. He can't believe he got brainwashed again. "Your friends will join us very soon."

"They're not my friends... At least one of them isn't" mutters Bucky and [Y/N] chuckles softly.

"He's really a hard nut. That with your arm was his idea." [Y/N] explains and nods with her head to the vise.

"Clever" admits Bucky. [Y/N] smiles again, this time of relief. Bucky seems to be back to his senses and now Sam and Steve notice that Bucky has woken up and join them. "That's your 'let us know', hm?" Sam says sarcastically to [Y/N], which only rolls her eyes. It's not like he's in place to give her any orders and he can be glad that she hasn't freed Bucky's arm immediately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Don't" says [Y/N] only a few minutes later when she opens the vise to free Bucky's arm. According to the information that he has just shared, they have to hurry to stop Zemo. Sam has already done some calls and Steve had been kind enough to leave Bucky and [Y/N] alone again, sensing the tension between them. "I know this look."

"You do?" asks Bucky with his right eyebrow raised. Although the two get along well it's almost scary how well [Y/N] feels around him and talks to him as if he wouldn't have killed people without hesitating, if necessary, just a couple of hours ago.

"You'll tell me that I don't have to do that and to take my chance to leave and start over."

"Am I wrong?" Bucky asks and is almost impressed by how smart she is. Not that he thought that she's dumb but she can read him so easily sometimes that it's scaring him.
Finally, [Y/N] has the vise open. Of course, Captain America had to use his super-strength and had screwed the thing so firmly that even an elephant would have had problems to open this thing. "You saw what can happen" Bucky continues.