Part 18. At Full Peace.

Since [Y/N] didn't care what they watched, she told Bucky to choose the movie. It was the evening and his company that mattered to her and she would watch anything, as long as she could enjoy happy Bucky for some longer. She hadn't seen him that relaxed in a long time. The last time, she believed, was the night Bucky, Steve and her sat together in Steve's room and played board games. The two men took turns telling stories from their childhood and youth and repeatedly revealed embarrassing stories from the other. It had been an evening full of laughter and taunts. Fortunately, the selection wasn't too big, so Bucky decided on the movie Jigsaw. Not entirely altruistic, to be honest. A horror movie was the perfect opportunity to get a little closer to his date. But unfortunately Bucky had forgotten about the fact that she was something like an Avenger and horror movies didn't really scare her. After all, their own lives have been like horror movies for a while. Quite apart from the fact that he didn't really understand the movie.

Bucky rests his arm on the armrest between them and leans over to [Y/N]. "I feel like I've missed something" he whispers when another scene is playing that alludes to something and he feels her movements as [Y/N] giggles.

"You haven't heard of SAW, have you?"

"How should I?" Bucky mumbles, regretting his choice of movie.

"That's a whole series of horror movies that this one is based on."

"Great..." Bucky mumbles sarcastically and reaches for some popcorn in frustration that [Y/N] is holding.

"Everything ok?" she asks, who of course notices his change of mood.

Bucky averts his gaze from the screen to look at her and cannot suppress a smile. Although he had managed to watch the only movie whose history one needs to know, he still has this wonderful woman next to him and he can feel all of his frustration vanishing. "Everything's  fine" he replies and places his arm on the backrest behind her back. [Y/N] smiles gently at him and then turns back to the screen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When they leave the cinema and walk back to their home, [Y/N] and Bucky are holding hands. Bucky had placed his right hand on her back when they left the cinema hall and let his hand wander to her left side and almost naturally grabbed her hand. A smile appeared on her lips when she felt his touch and she tightened the grip around his hand.
Whilst walking and talking, Bucky loosens his grip and opens his fingers until they both intertwine their fingers. He listens to her words and his gaze wanders from her face to their hands for just a tiny moment but he can't ignore how good it feels to hold her like that and for the first time in weeks, he feels at full peace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A good 30 minutes later they arrive back at the medical center. It's getting late and Bucky looks nervously at his watch while they wait for the elevator. He doesn't want to arrive at the apartment and have everyone's eyes on them but if they're unlucky, their friends are still awake. Still holding hands, both enter the elevator and [Y/N] presses the button that takes them to the top. Only then does Bucky release his hand and puts his arm around [Y/N] from behind to pull her closer to him. It wasn't until she felt Bucky's warmth that she realizes how cold she is now, even though it's not that cold outside. She rests her head on his shoulder, which brings another smile on his lips. He lovingly strokes her side with his fingers while his gaze follows the light that shows the changing floors. Only when the elevator comes to a hold, he lets go of her. But when both enter the apartment, everything is empty. Nobody is in the kitchen and there are no lights on in the living room either. Bucky has to smile slightly because Steve has probably made sure that nobody would bother them, but maybe everyone is already in bed. His gaze wanders to [Y/N], who is bracing herself on the banister and takes off her shoes. Her feet probably hurt after all these hours on these heels that Bucky is sure were Natasha's idea. With a smile, [Y/N] waits for Bucky at the foot of the stairs, the shoes are now dangling in her right hand.