Part 9. Wakanda.

The months pass by and soon more than half a year has passed. It's been crazy months. [Y/N] had to move three times to remain undetected. Clint and Scott, the only people who had voluntarily remained in prison, were kept under house arrest, so to speak, and were not allowed to leave their homes. But at least they were with their families. There were hardly any tasks left at the Avengers headquarters, so Natasha was there less and less and joined Sam, Steve and [Y/N] more often. She had started to train with [Y/N] to keep them both fit and Steve was also regularly visiting [Y/N].

Her and Steve have become friends. Very good friends, in fact. It's Steve's honest manner, his openness and his slight bias that [Y/N] finds so charming. She understands why Bucky and Steve are best friends because she recognizes many of Bucky's few qualities that she knows in Steve. Most times when she's with Steve, she misses Bucky less. For this thought alone, [Y/N] would like to slap herself because they didn't know each other for long. And if she had listened to him, everything would have turned out differently and she could have freely traveled anywhere and would now start a new life in a foreign country. And she wouldn't think so much about Bucky anymore because she would've barely known him. Who knows what their life would be like now. Maybe she would have made other friends somewhere, maybe even lying on the beach now.

Instead, she sits with Steve in the living room and watches him pacing up and down by the window while he is on the phone. And she doesn't regret her choices, no matter how it turned out. As is so often the case, Steve is wearing a T-shirt that is much too tight, under which each of his muscles is clearly visible. The serum should only produce a super soldier. A man stronger than anyone else. It wasn't supposed to create the perfect man right away and yet he stands there in [Y/N]'s room, pacing up and down. Perfect body, beautiful blue eyes and blonde hair. Not to mention his character. The conversation is slowly coming to an end and [Y/N] tries to determine the reason for the call based on Steve's answers. "Does he do that?" "Yes, she is." "Is that a good idea?" "Yes, I'll talk to her. Okay. Bye."

Steve looks at his phone for a few more seconds after ending the call and re-plays the conversation in his mind. He tries to keep a straight face and hide his own excitement but he's got special news for both of them. "Who was that?" asks [Y/N] and pulls him out of his thoughts. He puts the cell phone back in his pocket and turns to [Y/N]. Her [y/ec] eyes meet his directly.

"Are you still thinking about Bucky?" Steve asks the woman and [Y/N] looks at him in surprise. James "Bucky" Barnes is a subject that they have both tried to avoid as much as possible for the past few months. Whenever his name was mentioned, [Y/N] always felt an inner restlessness, sadness and a certain nervousness. Just like now.
But she is not used to the direct question of whether she is still thinking of him from Steve. If Natasha had asked this question, however, [Y/N] would be less surprised.

Steve's eyes are still curious and expectant on her, so [Y/N] has to answer. "Constantly" she presses out. She never lies to Steve but really wishes it was different. That Bucky would be less dear to her heart, because she doesn't think of anyone as much as she thinks of Bucky whilst he probably doesn't think about her at all. It is therefore not easy for her to make this admission.

Steve, on the other hand, smiles at her understandingly, as if he already knew the answer to his question. "Well. Pack your things then."

"Pack?" [Y/N] asks confused and cannot fully understand the connection between Bucky and packing.

"There is someone who wants to see you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She stands by the window of the jet and gazes at the incredible landscapes of Wakanda that passes beneath her and mutters an "Unbelievable..." as she sees that this is where Steve and Sam stayed for the first 2 months of their escape. And that's supposed to be the kingdom of the black cat... uhm... the Black Panther... Just unbelievable.
"So this panther and we..." [Y/N] asks again and turns to Steve in the front part of the jet.