Part 14. The New Bond.

Steve, Bucky and [Y/N] are the last three to stay awake after the evening together. They cleaned kitchen and living room together because [Y/N] couldn't go to sleep just a few hours after dropping those news and even though her friends all felt sorry for her, they knew she didn't want any pity and that their company wouldn't change her mood, so they all went to bed. Only Steve and Bucky couldn't agree who should keep her company but none of them wanted to leave her alone because they knew she needed at least someone to be around her. And since they couldn't agree, not even needing words for their argument, they both stayed with her until the whole place was all clean again. [Y/N] was thankful for their company because they didn't try to bring up a conversation just to fill the silence. If there was silence, it was okay but one of them would always come up with something to talk about for the next couple of minutes until everything was done.

Now, [Y/N] leans against the door frame that leads from the living room to the kitchen and watches Steve and Bucky putting away the clean dishes. It's time to say goodnight to them but she doesn't want to be alone just yet. It's up to her to decide who she wants to ask to keep her some more company but whilst looking at the two handsome men, she feels kind of torn. Steve knows her the best and always finds the right words to make her feel better. He's very caring and loving. But there's something about Bucky that makes her relax immediately. She feels the most comfortable around him and it feels like they don't need many words to understand each other. And it feels like he's opening up more and more around her the more time they spend together.
Before she even knows, [Y/N] moves to Steve and embraces him in a hug. "Thank you for helping out." He understands that she's saying goodbye to her and hugs her some tighter.

"Anytime, love. Have a good night" he says softly and then pats Bucky on the shoulder. "'Night, Buddy" he says and then heads upstairs to leave the two of them alone. He feels kinda proud of his best friend. He really wasn't stalking them but when he went to the bathroom earlier, he saw Bucky and her standing on the balcony, hugging each other. An action they have never done before but they looked so comfortable that it almost melted Steve's heart as he was watching them. He knows that Bucky is still struggling to move on and that the things he went through have changed him. He isn't the same Bucky Barnes that he was in the 1940s, just like he isn't the same Steve Rogers. But he will never forget that James Buchanan Barnes got that bad at flirting. Bucky wasn't even able to compliment his friend without insulting her and just the memory of it will make Steve laugh for the next weeks, if not even months. James Buchanan Barnes - the man every woman ever was after for. James Buchanan Barnes - the man that would walk up to a girl and have a date with her the next second. James Buchanan Barnes - who easily went to dance with two girls when Steve turned them down. Steve will make sure that Bucky never forgets the night he thought 'What are you wearing' was a good way to compliment a woman.

Steve has already guessed that there was something special going on between Bucky and [Y/N] because they behave different around each other than they behave around the rest of the Avengers. But after seeing Bucky actually hug her, it is more than obvious to Steve. Maybe [Y/N] can help Bucky to move on, like Steve's friends and the missions have helped himself to move on. Even though he still hasn't moved on completely, if that is even possible, he's trying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You wanna watch a movie?" [Y/N] asks Bucky quickly, probably way too quickly as she breaks the silence.

"What?" Bucky asks chuckling. He has barely understood the words that left her mouth so quickly.

[Y/N] takes a breath to calm herself down, not knowing where that sudden nervousness comes from. "Do you want to watch a movie? I don't think I can go to sleep just yet and you're good company."