Part 40. Infinity War.

Steve's gaze wanders along his team on the jet, almost feeling sorry for Natasha's hard words towards Wanda but he can understand that it comes from worry only. They had almost lost them, Wanda and Vision alone clearly outnumbered against the new thread.

"Where to Cap?" Sam interrupts his thoughts and Steve looks to the side, away from his friends to focus as his mind is still wandering. The tension clearly seizable to everyone on the jet.

There's only one place he can think of, yet it doesn't feel right to say it. Not like this, in a situation like this and with a part of his team gone. He tries to ignore his worries about Bucky and [Y/N], knowing that this is more important now, yet he doesn't like being separated from his best friend during another war because he can't protect him like that.

Nonetheless, he lifts his gaze again to look at his friends that are waiting for an answer. "Home" Steve answers, trying to hold back a sigh. He meets Natasha's gaze, her look is understanding and tense and he can see the same worry reflecting in her eyes, along to a worry about yet another space war.

Wanda lifts her head slowly, taking a look around to realize the missing faces. She's kind of scared to speak up because Natasha seems really mad about Vision and her leaving but she hasn't seen [Y/N] in months, her absence worrying the red haired woman. "Where's [Y/N]?" she asks nonetheless, caring more about her friend than the trouble she's in.

"In Wakanda" Steve replies shortly and Wanda flinches, thinking that Steve is just as mad. She can't know that he's just worried but tries to stay strong for the team. They need a leader and once again he has to take that role. The two years of staying undercover almost made him forget how that feels and no matter how much time passes, he'll never feel fully comfortable in that role.

But his friends know him better than that which is why Natasha puts a hand on Steve's shoulder to lock eyes and comfort him. "They'll be fine, Steve. We shouldn't worry them just yet." Her gaze is comforting and radiates a strength that helps Steve to focus on their mission, knowing that she's right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The jet lands and Sam approaches Steve as they look at the Avengers compound in front of them. A place that used to be home and that they haven't been at for two years. Despite the upcoming danger, Steve feels a certain kind of sadness because he had been sure that Bucky and [Y/N] would be with him the next time he gets here. But now it feels like they were never really with and have been nothing but a dream to him.

"I know what you're thinking" Sam says. "But it's a good thing they're not here."

"Is that so?" Steve asks doubting.

"Being in Wakanda means they're safe." He can't know just yet that they aren't safe either. He doesn't know what Bruce Banner will tell them and how dangerous things really are. But even if he'd know, he'd still try to comfort his friend.

"Listen to him" Natasha says, being the first one to leave the jet and focusing all on her mission now.

"You heard her" Sam says with a smirk before they all head inside.

***

"You know they're only criminals because you've chosen to call them that, right, Sir?" they hear Rhodey ask while they're coming closer and Natasha nudges Steve's side with her elbow, smirking slightly.

"Looks like Team Iron Man has made up its mind" Natasha says but Steve looks at her sternly.

"Not now, Nat" he says and they enter the room Rhodey's in. Steve feels his fast heartbeat, wishing all of his team would be with him right now. His friends help him focus but he can't ignore the worry about everyone else as he takes a deep breath to concentrate. "Mr. Secretary" Steve greets the hologram.