Part 17. The Date.

An almost uncomfortable silence fills the group's apartment building while [Y/N] waits for Bucky. In order to get as little attention as possible from their friends, they had agreed to meet by the elevator downstairs. It had taken so long to get ready that [Y/N] and Natasha were sure that Bucky would be waiting for her already. But once they arrived downstairs, silence surrounded them. Natasha, the only person allowed to stay until [Y/N] gets picked up, gets a restless look from the latter. [Y/N] feels impatient and whilst she's looking forward to the evening with Bucky, the seconds of waiting seem to turn into minutes. She could swear that they're waiting for 10 minutes already but in reality, not even 2 minutes have passed. Natasha grins at her friend as she was just waiting for her real emotions take over her calmness. A few months ago they had spent weeks talking about Bucky and now her friend is finally going on a date with him. Natasha couldn't be happier for her, yet she feels a slight pain in her heart because she misses Bruce so badly right now. Nodding towards the elevator, she shows [Y/N] its light that indicates that someone is on their way down to them.

[Y/N] doesn't even notice how her breathing starts to go unevenly while she looks at the light until the elevator comes to a stop. She breathes in the air nervously, waiting for the elevator doors to open to see Bucky. She uses this short period of time to calm her nerves again, not knowing where this nervousness and joy come from. But when the doors finally open, the sight surpasses everything that [Y/N] expected. Bucky is alone, she would have thought Steve was with him. His long hair is cut off, his beard, which he hadn't shaved in the last few days, is trimmed so that it now accentuates his facial features. He is wearing dark jeans, a light shirt, over it a black jacket and, as usual, his gloves to hide his arm and hand. Even before he stands in front of her, she can smell his perfume. An unusual scent, in addition to the familiar smells of deodorant and shower gel.

A slight smile lies on his lips when Bucky walks up to his date and looks her up and down. Before either of them can say anything, Natasha grins cheekily at both of them. "You better bring her home safely before midnight, Barnes."

[Y/N] has to giggle while Bucky can only roll his eyes as he puts his arm around her shoulders to accompany her outside. "He's a good 100 years old, that shouldn't be a problem, Natasha" laughs [Y/N] and is immediately punished by Bucky with a poke in the side. "You really wanna state our date by being a meanie?" he complains jokingly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Natasha had told [Y/N] that she had chosen a small restaurant, but she hadn't mentioned how romantic it was. But only a few minutes' walk away they are in a backyard of a side street. Ivy rises up on the outside wall of the restaurant, the tables are decorated with white tablecloths and candles and are only illuminated by the dimmed light of the few lamps on the outside walls. Bucky was also amazed by the romantic place but he has already recovered and smiles at [Y/N] as he pulls out the chair for her. If she wouldn't know him so well, [Y/N] would certainly not notice that his thoughts are racing at the moment. His smile is gentle, but it doesn't go as high as when he really smiles at her. His eyes flicker as if they are trying to follow his thoughts and on his forehead there is a slight thought line that is even more visible now that he has short hair. But somehow [Y/N] knows that he is only worrying about tonight, which makes her appreciate his company even more.

The waiter asks the two of them if they already know what they want to drink and Bucky asks him for a wine recommendation, which he then orders. "What?" he asks afterwards when the waiter is gone and looks at [Y/N] with a raised eyebrow.

"I would hardly have recognized you, Barnes. You look so different. What happened to the modern Jesus?"

[Y/N]'s cheeky grin infects Bucky and the corners of his mouth bend upwards before he sighs and rolls his eyes. "Steve said it would be better if I no longer resemble the wanted posters so much and, I quote, 'better show up on a date a little more neat than I usually show myself at home'."[Y/N]'s grin grows wider as she imagines Steve Rogers of all people giving his best friend a talk about dates. But women adore him, and not just because of 'America's ass,' as many say. After all, Steve knows how to style as if he belongs to this decade. "Whatever is on your mind, Sharp, I know it's something cheeky."