Part 16. Dating Advices.

Bucky's date with [Y/N] is the best evidence of how quickly information can spread. Because even if Steve Rogers is the most trustworthy person in the world, he seems to have succumbed to gossip as much as any other person. Because neither Bucky nor [Y/N]  told anyone but Steve about their date and yet everyone knows it even before the said day comes. And even if Bucky had slowly integrated in the past few weeks, it is still an uncomfortable feeling to be the gossip of the week. And even if [Y/N] is just as unenthusiastic about being the center of attention, she was always able to calm Bucky down when he felt too uncomfortable. After all, they are just friends and the date offers a change from their otherwise so constant everyday life.

It would be an understatement to say that Steve feels proud. If he could, his chest would surely be bursting with pride. After Bucky was saved, he wished nothing more than that his friend would be better. And in the past few weeks, he could watch Bucky relax more and more, especially when [Y/N] was around. He started laughing and cracking jokes and his room became less and less of a hiding place. Of course, he doesn't like the thought of how easily the two of them take the date because he thinks that there's something going on between them but that Bucky even took this step is a good sign in his eyes.

Yet, Steve would like to do more than give them both tips for the evening, but for Bucky this is more than enough already. "I don't know if I should really take tips from you, Steve" Bucky smirks at his best friend. "I mean... When was your last date?"

"1943. You had a cute brunette with you and my date was her best friend, the blonde. I don't even remember her name anymore."

"Probably because you cared more about joining the army than about her." Bucky raises his right eyebrow, finding it hard to believe that Steve never went on a real date ever since. Still he has to grin. "What about the cute blonde you kissed. Sandy... Shalene... something with S."

"Sharon" replies Steve.

"Yes, exactly. Have you spoken to her after the kiss?"

"No. I suppose she had to go into hiding at the time as well."

"That's what I mean... are you really able to give me advice?" Bucky's grin is wide, snappy and challenging, causing Steve to grin too.

"If I remember correctly, your last date is just as long ago."

Bucky's grin fades and he presses his lips together. "Fair enough."

"Are you ever going to tell me about the thing between the two of you?" Steve asks further and crosses his arms. His expression tells Bucky that there's no way out this time because usually, Bucky avoids talking about himself.

"There's no thing" he says but doesn't even believe it himself and he knows that Steve doesn't believe it either.

"Right. That's why you made it clear that I should take good care of her. And I'd like to remember you that I had to promise it more than once in less than 24 hours."

Bucky thinks back to the times he had said that and knows that Steve is right. Ever since [Y/N] tried to help him escape in Bucharest, he had felt that he owed her something. But when she insisted in Germany on helping to fight the Winter Soldiers, it wasn't just a feeling of owing. He remembers looking into her [y/ec] eyes and just thinking that he wants her to be safe. Because behind all the determination in her eyes, he could see something else. It wasn't fear, more like pain that he couldn't understand but now does. That slight glimmer of negative emotions had made him want to protect her. And of course he had imagined the fight in Germany to be different. It was clear to everyone that there was going to be a fight, but he had never imagined traveling to Siberia only with Steve. On the way to Wakanda, he could only wonder if [Y/N] had really made it out of there safely, as Steve had tried to reassure him. They had all risked so much but no one had ever asked her to do what she had done. Clint, Wanda, Scott... they have all been asked by Steve and Sam to come and support them. But [Y/N] had made this decision of her own free will, not even waiting for the men to ask her and the determination in her eyes hadn't let Bucky argue for a moment. And he knew he would have made the same decision if he would have had a choice.