Too Far

Y/n POV

After Peridot told us about the cluster, we needed to get to work building a drill to take to the center of the earth and destroy it. However, that was easier said than done. Pearl and Peridot don't seem to get along very well and Steven ended up having them build giant robots to test who should lead the project, which kind of ended in a disaster. We gave Peridot a little tape recorder as a sorry for destroying all of her things, though she's getting increasingly on my nerves with that thing, I'm not sure how many more 'clods' I can take before I lose my mind.

"Remind me why exactly I need to listen to you? Oh, right." Peridot said as she rewinds her tape recorder while playing the word 'clod' over and over. "Why exactly did you give her that thing?" Pearl asked, slightly annoyed. "Well, we did destroy all of her stuff. So I thought it would make her feel better." Steven said with a smile. "I guess it's kinda working?" I said. We wait for Garnet while Peridot plays back her tape recorder over and over. "Before we begin, do you mind unfusing? It's making me incredibly uncomfortable." Peridot said to Garnet as she arrived. There was a pretty awkward silence between us before Garnet grabs a leash and ties Peridot to a fence. I giggled quite a bit while Peridot screamed and struggled while trying to reach for a microwave.

"Her having free roam of the place made 'me' incredibly uncomfortable" Garnet said. "Here you go Pearl!" Steven said as he handed Pearl some metal parts. "No no no, I said I needed tungsten. Tungsten?" Pearl explained. Neither Steven nor I knew what tungsten was, but then Amethyst just stuck her tongue out and said "Tongue-sten". Steven and I laughed quite a bit while Pearl just sighed and said she'll do it herself. Peridot was still on the leash, struggling to take apart the microwave. "Grr...I just need some sort of leverage optimizer." she said. "Leverage optimizer?" Amethyst asked, not having a clue as to what the hell Peridot just said. "Yes, that's what I said" Peridot replied. "Ohhh! Haha you mean a screwdriver?" Amethyst laughed. "Do you have one or not?" Peridot asked. 

"Uhh, why not just use this one?" Steven said while pointing to a screwdriver on the ground. "Because it was out of my radius." Peridot replied, while taking the screwdriver from Steven. "Hey Peridot, what's this?" Amethyst said while pointing to her nose. "A scent sponge." she replied. "And this?" Amethyst then pointed to her eye. "Vision spheres." Peridot replied again. Amethyst kept teasing Peridot about her funny names and Eventually Peridot lost it. "This?!" Amethyst said while pointing to her butt. "THAT'S YOUR BUTT!" Peridot angrily said. Steven and I start laughing hysterically while Peridot on the other hand isn't laughing.

"Oh Peridot, you're killing me!" Steven says with tears of laughter coming out of his eyes. "I am not! That would violate our truce agreement!" Peridot anxiously says. "No no, it means you're funny" I point out. "Funny?" She asks, clearly not understanding earth terminology. "It's just a word for people who make others laugh." I said with a smile. Pearl then came over to us and said that we had almost everything we needed, but we're missing a drill. "Well can't we just use one of the injector drills from the kindergarten?" Peridot suggested. "Well...yes but-" Pearl was about to finish talking when Garnet interrupted her. "She's not going without a chaperone!" Garnet yelled. "What? You have to be joking." Peridot whined. "Oh, you'll know when I'm joking." Garnet said.

"How about Steven, Y/n and I take Peridot to the kindergarten?" Amethyst asked. "Yeah! We can keep an eye on her" I exclaimed. Garnet pondered for a moment before approving the request, but told us to keep her in line. We finally made it to the kindergarten and Peridot was recording things on her tape recording while Amethyst was teasing her. "Are you making more nerd notes?" Amethyst laughed. "What is a 'nerd'?" Peridot asked, having no clue once again about earth terms. "You don't know what a nerd is?" Steven asked. "Use it in a sentence." Peridot replied. "Okay. Nerd: You are a nerd." Amethyst said. "Amethyst that's not very nice." Steven said with a sour face. I giggled at how cute he was. I then noticed that Steven was grabbing my hand, and when I looked at him we both blushed.

"O-oh sorry! It's just the l-last time we went to the kindergarten with Peridot and-" Steven was saying before I cut him off. "H-hey don't worry about it, I don't mind." I stuttered, flustered out of my mind. "As you can see, this planet is annoying and everything is annoying. Amongst it's...transgressions, is the need for the Amethyst to ask permission from the Perma-fusion." Peridot said sarcastically. "Perma-fusion? Is that what you call Garnet?!" Amethyst burst out laughing. "I could call her many different things. I could call her 2 clods! Walking around like she's one clod! Nehehehe." Peridot replied.

"What's wrong with that?" I asked. "She's not even fighting! She's just y-you know... like the...y'know!" Peridot said while bumping her fist together. I almost cried from laughter while Steven imitated her gesture. "You're a real gem, Peri." Amethyst stated. "Yes, I am a gem" Peridot replied. "Okay, okay do these 2. What's weird about Steven and Y/n?" Amethyst said with a mischievous grin. "Uhh, can we not?" Steven asked. "Please?" I pleaded. "Oh where do I even begin? They're some sort of hybrid abominations, it makes no sense how they even function! Then their organic halves consume so much energy that they have to constantly feed to replenish it, and they spend so much time expelling it, that they have a room dedicated to it!" Steven and I cringed like there was no tomorrow at Peridot's comments.

"Then there's the hand holding and the constant change of color they do! I had no idea that humans could change the shade of their faces just by staring at each other, and I always thought hand holding was some sign of fusion, yet they never fuse?" Peridot said. Right as she said that, Steven and I turned into tomatoes. "Now that I think about it, you 2 do get awfully close with each other." Amethyst pointed out. "Are you guys a couple?!" Amethyst asked. "W-what!?" We said, shocked by Amethyst's question. "CAN WE JUST MOVE ON?" I yelled, wanting to escape this conversation.

"It's so strange how you think you even need to listen to them, Amethyst. You're the one who should be in charge!" Peridot said. "Ha, that's the best joke you've told all day!" Amethyst laughed. Peridot then starts to explain how the other gems are below her status, and that Amethyst's only problem is that she's defective. Amethyst got upset by the offensive comments while Peridot just laughed away.

*Time skip to the barn*

Steven POV

We got back to the barn with the Drill-bit thingy, and Amethyst was in a really bad mood from before. Pearl and Garnet went to leave to do something quick, which left me, Y/n, Amethyst, and Peridot alone at the barn. Something happened and the drill started spinning out of control. "Guys? What's going on-" I started to ask but the drill came right for me. Y/n grabbed my arm and yanked me out of the way. "Thanks, Y/n." I said between breaths. "Yeah, no problem." He said with a smile. The drill then went after an unsuspecting Amethyst and Peridot rushed over to push her out of the way. We then ran over to the drill and I hopped inside to disarm the drill, while Y/n started to form a blue glow around himself and tried to keep the drill still. Eventually we managed to stop it from moving.

"It's okay, e-everything's a-okay" I said, very dizzy from all the spinning. Y/n on the other hand collapsed from whatever that was. "WE LEAVE FOR ONE SECOND AND EVERYTHING GOES WRONG!" Pearl screams as she and Garnet get back. "Eh, I blame the cows." Garnet replied. As Garnet and Pearl are cleaning up the mess, I rush over to Y/n to see if he's okay. I notice he has a massive burn mark on both of his hands, and is sweating pretty badly. "Y/n are you okay?!" I ask, very worried about his condition. "...Yeah, it's just really h-hot." He replied, burning up by the second. I sit down next to him and put his head in my lap.

"Just breathe okay? Try and get some rest too." I said softly, while gently rubbing his hair. "Thanks, Steven." Y/n said, giving a small smile. After a little bit, he fell asleep. He's about the same height as me, so I was able to easily carry him into the barn. After a while, Peridot had walked up to Amethyst with the tape recorder in her hand. "I have concluded that while I don't enjoy the presence of these clods, I have apparently 'upset' Amethyst's 'feelings'. I do not wish to hurt my standing with the highest ranking gem out of them all, so I hope you can forgive me, I am still learning." Peridot's tape recorder said.

"Hey Peri?" Amethyst asked. "Yeah?" Peridot said. "Thanks, but you're still a nerd" Amethyst thanked. "I'll be sure to take note of that." Peridot said while gritting her teeth.