Steven's Birthday

Steven POV

Today is my birthday and everyone is coming to help throw a big party at the barn for me. I asked Pearl about the drill and she said that Peridot will keep us on schedule.

"I can't believe today is finally my birthday!" I said with excitement. "Hey Peri, you sure you don't wanna get in on this?" Amethyst asked Peridot. Peridot just glared back and continued working. "We should celebrate our progress, and celebrate your progress. You've grown a lot this year." Garnet said with a smile. "He sure has." Pearl replied. Y/n walked over to us while carrying a box of party hats and streamers. "Sorry I'm a little late, the lady in front of me wouldn't shut up about some coupon or whatever." Y/n said while holding a deathly glare. I ran over to Y/n and gave him a big hug, while he hugged me back. "I'm so glad you're here Y/n!" I said with pure excitement. "Yeah me too." Y/n said with a sincere smile. "Happy birthday by the way Steven!" He said.

"Aw, thanks" I said with a little blush on my face. "Hey, that reminds me. You've never told me when your birthday is. We gotta have a big party for you too!" I said. "Oh, my birthday? I'll be 14 in November." Y/n replied. While we were talking, my dad and Connie arrived in the van. "Steven!" Connie yelled, while running up to hug me. "Connie! I'm so glad you could come!" I said with joy. "Hey! What should I do with this defibrillator?" Greg asked. "Oh, just leave it in the car for now!" Connie said back. The 3 of us giggled at the fact that Connie's parents made her bring a defibrillator. "Alright step aside Connie, I was his best friend first. Happy birthday Steven!" Greg cheered while giving me a massive hug. "Let me get a look at you" He said.

"Daaaad!" I said, really embarrassed. "Sorry, sorry. I just can't believe how fast you're growing up. It seems like yesterday you were only a baby but now you're 14!" Greg said. "Steven, you're 14?!" Connie said while spitting out her drink. "Um, yeah?" I replied. "But I'm only 12 and 3 quarters! You're older than me? I don't believe it!" She said. Dad then pulled out a book with a bunch of my birthday pictures, while Y/n cooed at the cute pictures of when I was younger. "Woah, looks like you stagnated a bit there." Greg said as he showed how I stayed the same height for a few years. "Mr. Universe...could I show you how the defibrillator works?" Connie asked with a worried look on her face.

"Oh, sure! Be right back kiddo." Greg said to me. "What was that all about?" Y/n asked me. "I'm not sure." I said with a sigh as I went over to listen to their conversation. "So he's not going to grow up?" Connie asked. "It's kinda hard to say. He is a gem after all. I mean, I've known the gems since I was 22 and they haven't aged a bit. But since he's half human, we're gonna have to wait and see." Greg replied. "Oh, I see" Connie said softly. Dad then sticks his hand out to Connie while high fiving her. "Human beings?" Greg asked. "Human beings" Connie replied with a smile. I'm thinking about what they said for a bit when dad walks over to me. "Erm, what's up dad?" I asked. He hands me my birthday cape and crown and tells me to wait in the barn. I think back to what they said earlier and decided to shapeshift my body taller. When everyone opened the door, they all stared at me in shock.

"S-Steven?" Y/n asked, blushing madly. "Is everything...alright?" Pearl asked. "Yup! I just had a magical growth spurt." I said with a smile. "Alright then, let's eat this cookie cake!" Greg said happily. Connie and I are sitting outside on a mat while Y/n went to go get something to drink. "Here you go Steven!" Connie says while giving me a present. I open it to find a nice pink shirt with buttons. "Oooh a new shirt, what a pretty color!" I said while trying on the shirt. It was a little tight and I couldn't quite button it. "Oh, I guess it doesn't fit since-" Connie was saying before I cut her off. "Hey it fits perfectly just like this!" I said while wearing the shirt like a jacket. Y/n gets back and everyone starts playing some badminton. Later in the day, dad starts playing music for everyone to dance to. Y/n walks over to Pearl who asked for his help with something, while dad pops in a new music Cd.

"This one goes out to the birthday boy and his best friend!" Greg said as some slow dance music started playing. Connie and I start dancing for a little bit before I make an excuse to freshen up. "Oh man, if I can just keep this up for the rest of my life, everything will be fine." I say while sweating heavily at the strain this form takes on my body. Y/n and Amethyst see this and stare at me in shock. "Steven, what's going on with you today? You keep changing..." Y/n asks, a little worried. "Have you been stretching your body all day?" Amethyst asked. "N-no! I was just...slouching" I quickly replied. Y/n didn't buy it and walked over to me. "Is something going on Steven? You haven't really been yourself today" Y/n asks.

"I just can't stay a kid forever, what happens when everyone grows up and maybe becomes president. What's that going to make me, first boy?!" I said, slightly annoyed. "But you can't keep stretching yourself out dude, it could really damage you" Amethyst warns. "Well I'm half human so maybe it works different." I replied as I walked off. Amethyst and Y/n both gave each other really concerned looks. I sat with Connie watching the stars and naming constellations, when suddenly I just couldn't keep up with this form anymore.

Y/n POV

"And then he just turned into a baby?" I asked, terrified at how Steven was now a small baby. "Dude, I told you stretching out your body for too long was bad for you!" Amethyst said while holding Steven. "Here, give him to me." I said to Amethyst. Amethyst handed me Steven and I started to cradle him. He wouldn't stop crying so I started to hum a little song to calm him down.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night

Take these broken wings and learn to fly

All your life

You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Blackbird singing in the dead of night

Take these sunken eyes and learn to see

All your life

You were only waiting for this moment to be free

Steven stopped crying and gently snuggled into my arms. I gave him a little kiss on his forehead to show him that everything was okay. "I never would have guessed that would work, how'd you do that?" Greg asked me. "I sorta remember something from when I was born, it was a song that my mom used to sing to me when she was still pregnant with me." I said. "He seems really happy with you, ya think you could keep an eye on him until we figure out what's going on?" Greg asked. "Of course! We're gonna be perfectly fine." I replied. I sat with Steven on the ground for a bit while we looked at the stars. "I just...I don't get why you would force yourself to grow Steven. I'm also like you, I don't know how I'm gonna grow either but that doesn't mean we don't have each other." I told him, getting a bit teary. Steven just giggled a bit and wiped the tears off my face.

"You're still as cute as ever though." I said to him while blushing. "Maybe it's better if we both get some sleep" I said as I put Steven down to bed before I eventually drifted off to sleep. I woke up the next morning but noticed that Steven was missing. "STEVEN?" I shouted. I was about to grab the gems before I noticed that he was right in front of me. "Look, the shirt fits now" Steven said while showing off his new shirt. I ran over to him and gave him a big hug. "I thought you were gone for good, I'm so glad you're safe!" I said, relieved that he was okay. "Yeah, me too Y/n" Steven said while hugging me back. "Hey, can you promise me something?" I asked Steven. "Promise you what?" He asked back.

"Promise me that whatever happens, no matter what you feel. We're gonna get through it together okay?" I told him. Steven looked at me with a smile and held out his hand. "I promise, because after all..." Steven started to say. 

"We're better together." Steven finished.