A Single Pale Rose

Steven POV

"Y/n's right next to me...It's gonna be okay." I thought to myself.

Today came, the day we're finally going to get some answers from Pearl. But I'm extremely nervous about all of this, both for asking her, but also about what she might say. My legs felt like they were moving on their own, jittering in my seat as I tried to keep myself together. I looked over to see Y/n just playing with his fingers, looking cute as ever as he tried to keep his mind preoccupied. I took his hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. He immediately was brought out of his little state and looked over to me and gave a small smile. "You ready?" Y/n asked. "Y-yeah, just give me a moment." I replied, taking a deep breath. Pearl and Amethyst walked inside the house, looking to be arguing about some kind of phone? "I just can't believe you've had your phone for a month and haven't used it at all!" Amethyst said. 

"Now that's not true! I use my phone to tell the time." Pearl replied. The 2 of them were probably going to go at that for a bit, but I realized I was definitely not prepared for this, and I just blurted something out. "PEARL, CAN I ASK YOU SOME-" I shouted, startling Y/n. "Hold on a minute, Stevo. I'm in the middle of something." Amethyst replied. My phone buzzed and looked down to see a message from Pearl. "Alright, you should be good to go! But you should really see about a phone case for that thing." Amethyst said. "I already have a case for this." Pearl replied, pulling a briefcase out of her gem. "Alright, I have a bunch of real phone cases in my room, so don't destroy that thing before I get back." Amethyst said, walking into her room. "P-pearl, can we ask you a question?" Y/n asked. 

"What is it, you 2?" Pearl replied. "You know how mom shattered Pink Diamond? Well, we were wondering if maybe...you shattered her." I said. "I-" Pearl gasped, covering her mouth as if she was desperately trying to hide something. "Hey, it's okay! You can tell us anything!" Y/n exclaimed, concerned. Pearl just couldn't seem to get any words out of her mouth, and she started sweating profusely. "Listen, Pearl, you need to tell us about this!" I shouted. Amethyst walked into the room, not expecting the drama that was unfolding. "I'm back with the...phone...case." Amethyst said, just staring at us. "Oh yeah, the phone case! Thank you Amethyst, very much! I'm so clumsy, probably just better if I put it in here." Pearl spurted out, putting the phone inside the briefcase. Pearl then proceeded to walk inside the temple, before closing the door behind her. 

"What the heck was that about?" Amethyst asked. "It's nothing..." I sighed, grabbing Y/n's hand and walking outside. Feeling defeated, we sat down on the beach and stared at the endless waves. My stomach started growling, I guess I haven't eaten in a bit. "Wanna go get some food? I could use something to eat too." Y/n asked, standing up and offering me his hand. "Yeah, I'd like that." I smiled, grabbing his hand and walking over to the boardwalk. We settled on some Fish Stew Pizza, and got a table inside to eat. "I just don't understand why she can't tell us, I don't know why she has to hide everything." I said, taking a bite of my pizza.

"Maybe it's just too secret to tell. She might be scared of what would happen if something of its nature were to become public. Something held so close..." Y/n said, his voice trailing off. "Sweetie, you okay?" I asked, raising some concern for his muffled voice. "It's nothing, babe. Just reminded me of something back with my mom, that's all." He replied. "You wanna talk about it? It might help." I said. "Well, back with my mom, there were things that Osiris had told me about that didn't quite add up. She allied with Rose during the war, but somehow had a grasp of it's events before the whole mess even started. Since this started with Rose shattering Pink Diamond- Steven, I think there's something much bigger going on here." Y/n said, seemingly on to something. At that exact moment, my phone got a notification. "Hang on, this is from Pearl? 'I want to tell you but I can't', with a monkey emoji. C'mon, Y/n! We need to get to the bottom of this." I exclaimed, jumping up out of my seat.