Gemcation

Y/n POV

It's been a little bit since that incident with Steven leaving, but I'm still not really over it. I could've lost him forever, and with him being my boyfriend that's a terrifying thing to think about, y'know? I'm not good at letting things go, and I tend to dwindle on a lot of it, it's how I've always been ever since I was really young. I was inside the temple, gathering my thoughts together when Steven returned from the car wash, glued to his phone.

"Oh, hey Steven! Back already?" I said, trying to make conversation. He didn't respond, but was just sitting on the couch while still keeping a watchful eye on his phone. He really hasn't been talkative much, but I really just miss having a normal conversation with him. "Still stuck on your phone...huh?" I asked, once again getting no response. I just sat on a chair next to the counter putting my head down, mumbling some stuff. Steven eventually looked up, seeing me with my head down and looking depressed. "Did you say something, sweetie? Sorry, I got distracted." Steven asked. "No...I said nothing." I replied. He had a growing look of concern on his face as if he could tell something was really bothering me. He walked over and sat down next to me, rubbing my back slowly.

"Is something bothering you? You can tell me anything." Steven said. "Well, it's just- actually, nevermind." I said. Steven was gonna speak up, but the door opened and Greg came inside with the gems. "Steven, wanna help us with these groceries?" Greg asked, with a smile on his face. "Check this out...it's farm fresh." Amethyst said, spitting an egg out of her mouth. "Uhh...thanks you guys, but the fridge is full." Steven said, confused. "Mhm, there's genuinely no room left in there." I said. "Not the fridge at our vacation house!" Greg exclaimed. Everyone cheered while we kinda just stared at them awkwardly. "I figured why spend money on hoses when we can spend them on houses! So I found someplace we could rent for the weekend." Greg said.

"Okay, well have fun then." Steven said. "Uh, Steven, you're coming too. And your boyfriend." Greg winked, making the both of us blush a bit. "This is the perfect time for a vacation! I mean, how often are we all on the same planet?" Pearl said. The gems then had to do some pretty big convincing. "Alright, I'll go." Steven said with a sad smile. We got everything packed up and headed out inside the van to the vacation house location. It was a pretty long drive, so I got comfortable in the back while Steven sat upfront with Greg. After a bit of driving, we finally arrived at the house. "Here we are! Home sweet temporary home." Greg said. In the distance, Garnet and Amethyst were carrying some kind of mattress. "Is that our bed?" Steven asked. "Yup, I want you to be as comfortable as possible. Finally have some family time, I feel like you haven't had that in a while. "Yeah, maybe." Steven replied, continuing to stare at his phone. I kept watching him just stay glued to his phone and it really bothered me. Regardless, we got out of the car and got ready to head inside, but Amethyst had something interesting to say.

"Hey Greg, did you invite anyone else? A party guy, maybe about 3 feet long, hissing and reptilian?" Amethyst asked. "Uh...no?" Greg said. "Oof, you might wanna factor in a plus-one." Amethyst replied. "Party guy! No!" Pearl yelled in the distance. "Ouch..." I mumbled, listening to Pearl's cries. Greg still stayed positive and optimistic about this vacation. "I promise, this is gonna be a really good time." Greg said. "Yeah, it's a great place, dad." Steven said, once again glued to his phone. Some time passed by, and Greg was grilling hotdogs with Amethyst, while Garnet chilled with Pearl who was lying down. Steven was sitting against the van, still staring at his phone, while I was sitting out on a log, drawing whatever I saw in the distance. I've been taking up drawing lately, and it's seeming to help calm my nerves whenever I can't stop thinking about something.

"It bit pearl once, but like we're gems, she'll be fine." Amethyst said, sipping her cola. "It's not the pain, it's the surprise!" Pearl groaned, holding an ice pack on her head. "Hey Amethyst, could you..." Greg said. Amethyst nodded and walked over to a preoccupied Steven. "Hey, Steven." Amethyst said. "Hi, Amethyst." Steven replied. She stared at the night sky for a moment, before giving Steven some relatively confusing wisdom. "Hey, it's okay, if it isn't okay." Amethyst said, awkwardly. "The sky...?" Steven asked. "Yeah." Amethyst replied. They sat in some interesting silence for a bit, before Amethyst broke it. "So, are you really into phones now?" She asked. "No." Steven said, quickly putting his phone away and cracking a nervous smile. It was later into the night when I was sitting out by the porch, and Steven walked outside near a hot tub that Garnet and Greg were sitting in.