5

Elaina Basset

Elaina Basset

All I can feel is heat. It's spreading around me and I can't stop it.

I can feel my heart beating out of my chest, my breathing heavy and out of control.

I look forward and see that all too familiar dreadful sight—the same sight that has traumatized me for too long.

I scream, everything around me engulfed in flames and the smell of burnt flesh surrounding me.

I can see an exit right in front of me—but wouldn't it be morally wrong of me to save myself?

I should just die here in this fire...

My eyes snap open and I take in a huge inhale of air, not being able to breathe as my body ignited with a short fit of panic.

I clutch my chest as I realize that it was just a terrible dream, but I was still panicked.

I look around to try and ground myself, realizing that I'm in Zayn's living room.

I don't remember anything, I don't even know what time of day it is—the only way I know it's not nighttime is because of the sun peaking through the curtains.

What happened?

Why aren't I in my bedroom?

My throat is itchy and my head feels a little heavy. I don't have any recollection of anything after being in the kitchen with the guys.

The guys. Where are the guys?

I force myself up off the couch, clenching my teeth as my body ached.

I trudge my feet down the hall, to the downstairs bathroom. I look in the mirror, seeing myself for the first time upon waking up.

I'm confused. I'm wearing a skirt and one of Zayn's sweaters. There's makeup under my eyes, leftover mascara that I don't even remember putting on.

And most concerning of all, there's a bandage on the left side of my forehead.

That explains my headache to some extent, I guess.

Before I do anything else, I need to freshen up at least a little. I open the cabinet, grabbing the extra unused toothbrush and toothpaste, brushing my teeth before splashing some water onto my face.

I wipe all of my makeup off, my eyes heavy and tired.

I leave the bathroom, looking around as I walk back down the hall.

"Hello?" I call out in a croaky voice, wondering why it was so quiet.

I walk back through the living room, getting closer to the kitchen where I heard the tap running.