8

Elaina Basset

Dread—that's all I can feel.

I've tried to make myself feel excited. I've tried to force a sliver of happiness in my own mind.

I'm seeing Isaac, that makes me happy. But I'm going to Denver, that makes me want to be sick.

I'm leaving tonight, meaning I should arrive in Denver around 1 in the morning their time. It's a 13 hour flight that I'm about to embark on alone.

The guys leave today.

I survived a week with them, and now it's over. They'll be gone and I won't have to deal with it anymore. Things will go back to normal.

Now I just have to get through this weekend in Denver.

In just a big white t-shirt and shorts, I sit on the living room couch, contemplating everything in my head.

The television is on, playing a sitcom from the 80's, but I'm not really watching. I sit with my knees up to my chest, biting the inside of my cheek.

It's raining outside today, I can hear the patter of the droplets on the windows. Today just feels grey...the only thing keeping my spirits up is that I'm about to go to the Institution of Arts to submit my physical copy.

After what happened with Zayn last night, I expected things to be awkward...but he's acting like everything's normal. He made me breakfast today and he's been his usual self. Maybe he doesn't remember.

I mindlessly watch the television when I hear a pair of feet enter the living room. I lift my head up to see who had just come in.

Harry.

With a plastic water bottle in his hand, his hair being held out of his face with a bandana, in black jeans and a red and black striped shirt, he comes into the living room and sits down in the sofa-chair on the other side of the television.

I don't say anything at first, just glancing at him as he keeps his eyes set on the screen. He brings the bottle to his lips and sips some of the water.

The sun was hidden by the grey rain clouds. There was no light coming into the room apart from the lamp in the corner as the television plays.

Golden Girls.

"Rose, what are you listening to?"

"—A relaxation tape. The rain is supposed to relax me."

The television plays the show, and I stare at the screen blankly.

"Why are you watching a show about old women?" I hear Harry's voice from the chair across from me.

I peer up at him, then back at the screen.

"I'm not really watching. Go ahead and change it to something else." I say with a flat tone.

I can feel his eyes glinting at me from the chair.

"What? No snarky response?" he remarks, "What's wrong with you." he murmurs as he grabs the remote.

I watch as he flicks through multiple channels.

"I'm visiting Denver this weekend." I tell him, not really knowing my reasoning for spilling this information to him but I don't necessarily regret saying it.

He takes another sip from his water. "Okay..." he trails off. "What's so bad about that?"

I take a small look at him before ultimately shaking my head. He has no idea about my past there or what happened to me. He won't understand and I don't expect him to.