11

heyy!

//

Elaina Basset

"I can't believe you're in Denver and I can't come and see you."

Angela's voice speaks over the video call on my laptop. I'm sitting in Isaac's bed, packing my suitcase. He left somewhere early this morning while I was still asleep and I don't know where he went. We haven't spoken.

"I know. I guess our timing is really bad." I respond to Angela.

I facetimed her because I wanted to see her, or even just get out of Isaac's apartment for a while, but she's not in Denver right now. I didn't even know she went away.

"So where are you exactly?" I ask as I pack my stuff up.

"I just left Salt Lake City last night. I'm on a little road trip with some college friends." she explains.

"Oh fun! Where are you going next?" I ask as I fold up the limited amount of clothes I brought and place them into my suitcase.

"We're making our way back into Colorado, so hopefully we'll be back home by Tuesday." she explains as she walks down the street with her headphones attached.

Apart of me really wishes I went to college with Angela like I planned...but she was the one who really encouraged me to take this program and go to Italy. I don't regret it, but that sense of normalcy could be fun.

"So how are you and Isaac?" she brings up a new subject. I pause and let out a small sigh and shrug.

"I don't know. Something happened last night and it's been weird since then." I confide in her.

"Well what happened?"

"He broke my phone because he found out about Zayn..." I say with slight hesitation, the situation sounding worse when I spoke it out loud.

Her eyes grow slightly wide after I speak, her lips parting in disarray with my words. She's silent for just a moment, processing what I said.

"I'm sorry...he broke your phone?" she seeks clarity.

I solemnly nod. "He didn't mean to, he was angry."

"Oh, Elaina." she gravely shakes her head. "C'mon, baby...you shouldn't justify him doing that."

I look down at my lap, my fingers immediately coming up to fiddle with the heart pendant against my neck. I know she's right, I just hate accepting the fact that he'd get so angry.

"You need to set him straight." Angela speaks again, "Tell him that he can't treat you this way. It's unacceptable."

"I know it's not but—"

"But nothing, Elaina. He's a grown man and he should know better. Tell him to step up or you're gone." she directs. "...And make him buy you a new phone too."

I bite my cheek and look down at my bare fingers, my chest tightening when I glance down at them. In full transparency, I'm not completely innocent when it comes to mine and Isaac's relationship.